Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Home security & Nest Doorbell

Options
  • 20-09-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Announced today, they're planning a home security system & ring-like doorbell.

The doorbell interests me, because I have a cam already as well as protects & thermo. The security system is interesting too. Have to wait to see what the subscription charges are becaus I was considering getting rid of the cam at €10 a month in favour of getting a couple of ring cams at €3 a month each

I do like the nest eco system though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the alarm doesn’t have the BS or EN standards for alarms then your house Insurance won’t recognise it.

The current regulations don’t allow for self install alarms. Installation of alarms is also pretty highly regulated

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is interesting, it does tick some of the boxes of a decent security system.

- Has battery backup for 12 hours
    - Has optional mobile communications channel (need to wait to see cost).

I was initially going to criticise the lack of motion sensors (outside of the main unit), but it seems the door open/close sensor is also some sort of motion sensor and can detect movement up to 15ft! So that is quiet interesting and novel. Surprisingly the Verge and other tech review sites didn't pick up on this!

So it looks to have potential.

It is a pity though that they haven't built Google Home into the base unit, that would be nice.

Also some external flashers and bell boxes would be nice.

Having actually looked at the specs I'm more interested now, then I was originally on reading the tech blogs! I'm not quiet convinced but I'll look forward to some reviews.

Will be interesting to see if setting home and away presence on it can be shared with other devices, trigger IFTTT, Yonomi triggers, etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    If the alarm doesn’t have the BS or EN standards for alarms then your house Insurance won’t recognise it.

The current regulations don’t allow for self install alarms. Installation of alarms is also pretty highly regulated

Shrug, just don't mention having an alarm in your home insurance. I find it makes little difference to the quotes anyway and it protects you from the situation where if you did get burgled and you didn't set the alarm, they might not payout.

It does seem to have the US certifications, so I assume it will get EU ones once it is officially launched here, Google/Nest are pretty good about that sort of thing, see Nest Protect (the smoke alarm) certs as an example.

I think the insurance industry will have to change it's stance on security systems with this big up swell of smart, self installed systems. With a big company like Google selling them, it will be hard for the insurance industry to justify not allowing coverage for them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Shrug, just don't mention having an alarm in your home insurance. I find it makes little difference to the quotes anyway and it protects you from the situation where if you did get burgled and you didn't set the alarm, they might not payout.

That's the advice you'd get on the home security forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

This just might keep the lucrative alarm installer business on their toes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

will cost $500 and includes a Guard, two Detects and two Tags.

It ain't cheap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

degsie wrote: »
    This just might keep the lucrative alarm installer business on their toes.

They'll lobby to ensure its not compliant in Ireland unless installed by them, so little will change

Cabaal wrote: »
    They'll lobby to ensure its not compliant in Ireland unless installed by them, so little will change

Good luck to them if Google decides to counter lobby!

It will be very hard for insurance companies to justify why advanced security systems from the biggest tech companies in the world aren't compliant!

Anyway the discount given by insurance companies is so small, it really isn't worth considering, specially as it risks them finding a reason to pay out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

will cost $500 and includes a Guard, two Detects and two Tags.

It ain't cheap.

To be fair neither is an alarm fitted, I shelled out 650 two yeasr ago for one in a pre-wired house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Still no HomeKit integration

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Still no HomeKit integration

Hardly surprising, non of the Google/Nest products do.

Though it might come in future, now that Apple has loosened up the rules for HomeKit support.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fx83wab

Does anybody know if I buy a Nest Secure kit in the US, should it work no problems here? Or should I wait until the official launch (but who knows how long that will be...?)

fx83wab wrote: »
    Does anybody know if I buy a Nest Secure kit in the US, should it work no problems here? Or should I wait until the official launch (but who knows how long that will be...?)

They likely use different radio frequencies in the US then here, so you might hit some issues. Probably best to wait if you can. Nest gear seems to turn up in the UK pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Very interested to see how this turns out. I have Nest thermostat and two nest protests aswell as google home integration. This could be great for my situation. Will watch with much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

I've been waiting for months for the Nest Doorbell and Nest Outdoor IQ to come out and still no news that I can find when it will be launched here. From reading online it also seems stock is really low in the States also where it has already launched.

If they don't hurry up I will be looking elsewhere, only problem is I can't find anything else that looks as good but open to suggestions.

digiman wrote:
    If they don't hurry up I will be looking elsewhere, only problem is I can't find anything else that looks as good but open to suggestions.

They do seem very slow I wonder is it anything to do with nest being subsumed back into Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

jones wrote: »
    They do seem very slow I wonder is it anything to do with nest being subsumed back into Google?
    I suspect so... they'd probably like to launch it as an extension to Google Home --> "Google Secure Home" or "Google Home Secure"

I suspect so... they'd probably like to launch it as an extension to Google Home --> "Google Secure Home" or "Google Home Secure"

Being able to turn on your alarm by voice sounds awesome. I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

plenty of features that they could leverage with the Home controls and just the mobile access;
    * Hey Google panic alarm
    * Remotely activate/deactivate the alarm to let friends in/out
    * use the Nest indoor/outdoor cams as CCTV
    * use the Nest outdoor cam to recognize your return home, turn off the alarm, turn on the heating
    I'm sure theres plenty more but its too early in the morning for my brain

Advertisement