Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike shifting from neutral to first without disengaging the clutch ?

Options
  • 20-09-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭

So I stalled the bike this morning which produced a pretty aggressive jolt.

Just arrived home and parked her up then noticed that I could pop the bike into first from neutral without disengaging the clutch which obviously should happen, any thoughts as to what may have happened to the transmission ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

beno619 wrote: »
    So I stalled the bike this morning which produced a pretty aggressive jolt.

Just arrived home and parked her up then noticed that I could pop the bike into first from neutral without disengaging the clutch which obviously should happen, any thoughts as to what may have happened to the transmission ?

Thanks

Is it a cable clutch?
    Sounds like cable needs adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it a cable clutch?
    Sounds like cable needs adjusting.

Yep 2013 ER-6N so cable clutch. Would a loose clutch cable only be noticeable when going from first to neutral ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

beno619 wrote: »
    Yep 2013 ER-6N so cable clutch. Would a loose clutch cable only be noticeable when going from first to neutral ?

I'm trying to fully grasp what going on.
    Is the bike not driving because of this?
    You said the bike stalled,why did it stall in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

With engine off you should be able to shift from N to 1 without engaging the clutch depending on how the dogs are aligned in the gearbox.
    Sometimes it will do it other times it won't depending on the exact alignment.
    Nothing to worry about, gearboxes are pretty tough and can handle jolts with no problems.
    The gear drum pushes and pulls different gearsets together or apart depending on what you are selecting, maybe the drum is getting smoother with age as well and wear?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq11CusULlk

blade1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to fully grasp what going on.
    Is the bike not driving because of this?
    You said the bike stalled,why did it stall in the first place?

No the bike is driving fine. Thought I was in neutral and let out the clutch when I was actually in first which caused it to stall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can shift through all the gears without using the clutch don't worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

you can shift through all the gears without using the clutch don't worry

Exactly. Motorcycle gearing is not helical like found on your car. They are straight splined, and gears have spacing between them before they engage even though the throw is rather short. You can only go up or down one gear at a time, so the fork can shift it directly across without any real resistance even when the revolutions aren't matched. This also allows for very fast shifts if you know what you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Clutch is often not used for upshifts and can be skipped for downshifts
    N-1 is an upshift
    It's totally normal

Cheers lads :)

Advertisement