Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is getting a new race track.

Options
  • 20-09-2017 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Cant wait for this to open.
    Looks like Touring Cars,BSB and maybe SBK will be back in Ireland again.

Maybe Mondello Park will be upgraded to to be competitive with this new venue??

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41331486

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

It'll be interesting to see how it does . Will the track be run full time like mondello is ?
    Bishopscourt is a great track but it's never used / can't be used , hopefully this track can be run daily . As for bringing over bsb , btcc etc , they cost a lot of money to bring over , they'll need backing and decent crowds to break even if they do get them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

The chances of it ever getting built are probably none to none

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Goose81 wrote: »

They have allready started the construction work.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Of course it has to be in the North.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Goose81 wrote: »

They started Circuit of Wales too and look how far that got. ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    They started Circuit of Wales too and look how far that got. ....

Motorcycling in Wales isn't a national obsession like NI.
    CoW was a huge project quite a lot bigger than the Lake Torrent plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If it wasnt for the nordys there be fcuk all motorsport in this sh1t hole....

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Of course it has to be in the North.....

We haven't got anyone in any position of power that would try and help motorsports here, FFS RTE don't mention any of the Irish riders at all.
    Jack Kennedy came 2nd in the BSB 600's a few years ago, any mention?
    Keith Cronin just won the British Rally Championship, he got loads of airtime..not.
    Golf, Horses or Soccer and you'll see it, Motorsport may as well be in a different timezone.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    We haven't got anyone in any position of power that would try and help motorsports here, FFS RTE don't mention any of the Irish riders at all.
    Jack Kennedy came 2nd in the BSB 600's a few years ago, any mention?
    Keith Cronin just won the British Rally Championship, he got loads of airtime..not.
    Golf, Horses or Soccer and you'll see it, Motorsport may as well be in a different timezone.

You left out..GAA, Hurling, Sailing, Cricket, Snot rolling, tiddly winks......

JK doesnt even get a mention on here either FFS...its not Motogp....rolleyes.png

You left out..GAA, Hurling, Sailing, Cricket, Snot rolling, tiddly winks......

JK doesnt even get a mention on here either FFS...its not Motogp....rolleyes.png

I watched JK blast by me in Silverstone 10 days ago where he crashed out,and then there in Oulton Park on Sunday just gone,where he came from last on the grid to take a fantastic 3rd place on the podium.

Beautifull sound from his MV Agusta as he flew past me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Have they? First I've heard, what stage are they at?
    Stage one planning permission was only granted last month.

There's not a chance this will end up being built, it's circuit of Wales MK2.

Why would investors commit money to a track in NI when you could build on the mainland somewhere and get a better return. Higher wages, higher disposable income, higher ticket prices, bigger population. The investors I suspect will pull out

Track racing is boring, races like the NW 200 bring mad crowds because they are free in and attract locals with nothing better to do.
    I agree they love there racing up there but if it was my money as an investor it wouldn't be going to that track, I genuinely think they would struggle big time to fill it if it's 30k

I'd like to see it but I have serious doubts.

Interestingly I see the guy building it is a self proclaimed motorcycle fanatic, I wonder about the design of the track. Arguably car racing events will be more common at in and some tracks are better suited than others to car v motorbike. He's want to be careful about the design, car racing over the course of the year will be where the money is.

Racing short circuits isn't the only income stream, as you can see from Stewy's posts, Wheelie training, track days, drifting etc can be accommodated at a track facility.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Racing short circuits isn't the only income stream, as you can see from Stewy's posts, Wheelie training, track days, drifting etc can be accommodated at a track facility.

Not just a race track
    Theres to be a hotel and retail and commercial/business area too.

Yes its not perfect,and parts of the track layout are more akin to a street circuit,but if it gets FIA and FIM approval then it will be great for Irish and International motorsport....all forms of track based motorsport.

I think everyone should get behind this and embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I hope this happens. Been wanting to do some track days but the nearest to me is Kirkistown which is too far really.

Not just a race track
    Theres to be a hotel and retail and commercial/business area too.

Yes its not perfect,and parts of the track layout are more akin to a street circuit,but if it gets FIA and FIM approval then it will be great for Irish and International motorsport....all forms of track based motorsport.

I think everyone should get behind this and embrace it.

Hope theres a Starbucks/Costa for the GS riders .....:pac:

ROFL....:D

Oh forgot......and a big screen so they can watch ROSSI Motogp while the real racers are at it....

Oh forgot......and a big screen so they can watch ROSSI Motogp while the real racers are at it....

Nothing wrong with a bit of big screen action.:)

Nothing wrong with a bit of big screen action.:)

Nice shot of Whingy Byrne while he was upright.....:D

Nice shot of Whingy Byrne while he was upright.....:D

Was over at the Be Wizer Ducati garage after the 1st BSB race last Sunday and Shakey looked like he wanted to deck someone.

Paul Bird trying to calm him down.

His visor misted up and that Shoei helmet is rather 2nd hand now.:D

• Advertisement

Was over at the Be Wizer Ducati garage after the 1st BSB race last Sunday and Shakey looked like he wanted to deck someone.

Paul Bird trying to calm him down.

His visor misted up and that Shoei helmet is rather 2nd hand now.:D

Never really liked him...but lately he's confirmed my suspicions..he's a Diva in disguise....:)

Back to subject....I'm wondering if that new track gets built will it be an end to road racing.....:(

Ah Shakey is a sound man.

Hes aiming to be the most successfull racer in the history of BSB,and when a visor mists up and you cant see jack sh!t at over 150mph,you can forgive him for being a bit p!ssed off.

I spoke to him at Silverstone 10 days ago and hes dead sound with all the fans.

Road Racing is an institution in Ireland,it will still be here,even after that track is built and hosting the likes of BSB,Thunderbikes. and SBK.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Sure if he was any good he would have gone to Moto GP....

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Sure if he was any good he would have gone to Moto GP....

He did race in Moto GP and in SBK....quite a few years ago now.

Leon Haslam did too.

He did race in Moto GP and in SBK....quite a few years ago now.

I think he knew what he meant...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The site construction has started on it about 2 hours and 20 mins away from Mondello Park.

Quick Check on google maps reveals that It'll be quicker to get to it (the new track) from anywhere north of Dunleer.
    That's huge amount of Mondello customers in the their catchment area.

I think Mondello is finding business difficult at the moment (Just what I've heard), they probably don't need this to happen.

I blame Rea............:P

I blame Rea............:P

He will make history this weekend in France.

Triple world champion.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

grahambo wrote: »
    The site construction has started on it about 2 hours and 20 mins away from Mondello Park.

Quick Check on google maps reveals that It'll be quicker to get to it (the new track) from anywhere north of Dunleer.
    That's huge amount of Mondello customers in the their catchment area.

I think Mondello is finding business difficult at the moment (Just what I've heard), they probably don't need this to happen.

competition is always a good thing though and will make it an aweful lot easier for lots of people to get on a track, plus if it can draw big events we may see an increase in the number of bikes on the road, really exciting prospect all round

Advertisement