Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam ? - Swiss pots & pans out of the back of a German reg Land Rover

Options
  • 20-09-2017 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

A gleaming black German reg Land Rover pulled up beside me recently. Guy, 30s - ish slim good but accented english announced that he was Bernard and needed to offload some swiss pots and pans.....

I suggested that he give them to a nearby charity shop. He was clearly having none of that as I saw him some time later trying someone else

Scam ?

Donno but its close to http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/67155.htm

MODS please move if there is a more appropriate place to post this, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Hes selling stolen goods, not a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mel123 wrote: »
    Hes selling stolen goods, not a scam
    An important quibble: selling stolen goods is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought most of these scams were just counterfeit goods rather than stolen.

Maybe some are stolen but do I would still think they could be stolen counterfeir crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you not just end up with a load of phone books or concrete blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you not just end up with a load of phone books or concrete blocks?

That's the substitution scam where an expensive electronic device like a Playstation (the genuine article) is shown to the prospective purchaser, often involving a demo in the home when the seller is doing door to door or offers to come to your house when you answer an ad. The ideal (for the scammer) scenario is where a parent is buying a birthday or Christmas present so the customer is presented with a shrinkwrapped carton with all the right logos and they hand over the money but when the poor child opens it, all they find is a block of wood inside.

I've had two experiences similar to the OP.......

1. Italian guy in a VW Passat pulled over in Donnybrook one day to a colleague and myself, we were both wearing suits. His story was that he was going home after attending some class of a trade show in the RDS, was flying back to Milan that afternoon, had some very nice suits he needed to sell and would we be interested?

I regarded that guy as simply a hawker of substandard goods. The car he was driving was more than a year old and was clearly not a rented car so he probably drove around the country flogging crappy 'designer' suits.

2. Guy in a NI registered van pulled over in Upper Baggot St. one day, said he was going home after a Hi-Fi trade show and would I like to buy some nice speakers? I made a note of his registration and reported him to the Gardai, he was definitely trying to offload stolen gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A lot of the time they are just hawking stuff, it's not stolen or counterfeit just not as wonderful professional grade/designer as all that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

hard to believe these scams are still going on. i had the guy selling speakers out of a van nearly 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It used to be leather jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I bought a set of knives off boys like this a few years ago. They're not stolen. They used to come into our site from time to time. They could have 100 sets in van. They could be kinda related to some of the travellers here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally they won't be as good aa claimed, won't be as expensive as claimed, have no comeback of any kind and the seller won't have paid any tax. And the items can fake, or stolen depending on what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

A gleaming black German reg Land Rover pulled up beside me recently. Guy, 30s - ish slim good but accented english announced that he was Bernard and needed to offload some swiss pots and pans.....

I suggested that he give them to a nearby charity shop. He was clearly having none of that as I saw him some time later trying someone else

Scam ?

Donno but its close to http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/67155.htm

MODS please move if there is a more appropriate place to post this, Thanks.
    My father bought pans from a traveling English salesman 15 years ago. he liked them so much he bought two sets at about 200 euro each. These were a set you'd get elsewhere outside ireland for 70 to 80 euro.
    they were supposed to have a 20 year guarantee but lid handles fell off. I have one of the sets. the set he gave me is in good condition still because if I can't nuke something in a microwave I generally don't eat it and pans don't go in the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

737max wrote: »
    My father bought pans from a traveling English salesman 15 years ago. he liked them so much he bought two sets at about 200 euro each. These were a set you'd get elsewhere outside ireland for 70 to 80 euro.
    they were supposed to have a 20 year guarantee but lid handles fell off. I have one of the sets. the set he gave me is in good condition still because if I can't nuke something in a microwave I generally don't eat it and pans don't go in the microwave.

He was right, I'd never hand over cash to a travelling salesman unless I got at least a 20 year guarantee.

Advertisement