Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a used OnePlus 3T...Unsure if battery life is good or bad?

Options
  • 20-09-2017 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a used OnePlus 3T this week, 64GB addition, 3 months old. I am unsure if the battery life I have been getting out of it so far is on par with what it should be or not though and so far am not exactly blown away by it.

I have had the last few days off work and so have been using it quiet heavily around the house while getting used to it but I`ve yet to get a full days charge out of it and it`s needed to go back into the charger by around 8pm each evening.

Is there anything within the phone setting itself or indeed free apps form the play store that could track the devices use and tell me how much on screen time I`m getting from one charge? I would then need to reference to what would be normal on screen time for this device to see if it matches up or not.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Am......just go to battery in settings and you'll get the screen on time there?

Just a small thing to check is settings - location - scanning and turn off wifi scanning. I would hazard a guess its on because its one of the sneaky settings you agree to from Google during set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you go into the battery settings, there's an option for aggressive power saving or something - basically it forces background apps to pause instead of running. It can also alert you when an app is heavily draining battery. It's usually facebook.

If you didn't get a dash charger with it, it's also worth getting your hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thank you both. The wifi and Bluetooth scanning option were both on indeed.

In relation to the "aggressive dose and app hibernation" option ..once turned on...it asks me to select the apps I want this to apply to. Should I just select the apps that I don't use on a daily basis or select all apps? What effect will it have on the apps I select?

subscriber wrote: »
    Thank you both. The wifi and Bluetooth scanning option were both on indeed.

In relation to the "aggressive dose and app hibernation" option ..once turned on...it asks me to select the apps I want this to apply to. Should I just select the apps that I don't use on a daily basis or select all apps? What effect will it have on the apps I select?

Personally I would say don't do this yet. Its the equivalent of cutting your leg off because of a scratch.

Give the phone a full charge. Open up the recents and clear all. Then turn the phone off for a minute. Restart and see how you go. Check your battery stats near the end of the day and see your screen on time plus see what apps are at the top of the list.

Thanks again.

When you say "open up the recents" do you mean open up the battery performance graph and check once again to see what the main offending apps are ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbh, If you are using that phone hard most of the day and get to 8pm, I think that is about right,

moderate use on mine and i would get possibly to 9-10. But if im browsing alot on it and connected to whatsappweb all day it will eat battery. (more if its not on Wifi)

Thanks again.

When you say "open up the recents" do you mean open up the battery performance graph and check once again to see what the main offending apps are ?

No sorry, you've 3 buttons on the bottom of the phone, home in centre and back and recents to the left and right, im not sure the order on the 3t, it opens up a list of floating cards that are all your recent apps, allows you to quickly switch between them.

There should be a box to clear it out. Don't make a habit of it normally though because its a good thing the apps are open in background with the system managing the memory.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Seeing what the device says in the Settings->System->battery section would tell us a whole pile. You should see a list with the screen at the top, and it should be using the most juice by far. Next you should see a list of applications. If you see something like facebook and the screen eating the same amounts of battery then there's a problem with that app. (To be honest, it might not even be a problem with the app, facebook is known to be a complete battery hog almost by design).

I think the Facebook thing is a bit of an out of date trope these days. Don't get me wrong, hate them, hate being on Facebook, hate the app, but with no extra controls applied its well down the list of apps in my battery stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The biggest battery killer on any phone is the screen. Take the brightness off auto and set it to as low as you can possibly bear and turn it up manually when needed.

• Advertisement

Seeing what the device says in the Settings->System->battery section would tell us a whole pile. You should see a list with the screen at the top, and it should be using the most juice by far. Next you should see a list of applications. If you see something like facebook and the screen eating the same amounts of battery then there's a problem with that app. (To be honest, it might not even be a problem with the app, facebook is known to be a complete battery hog almost by design).

So...

Screen 6%
    YouTube 5% (I play a lot of music)
    Android System 2%
    Android OS 2%
    Phone Idle 1%
    Facebook 1%
    Google Play Services 1%
    Voice Calls 1%
    WhatsApp 1%

The battery graph reads: 71% battery remaining with 11 hours remaining and "3 hours ago" (whatever that means).

I do not see stats for screen on time anywhere within the battery function settings though.... Is it staring me right in the face ??

Press screen on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

So...

Screen 6%
    YouTube 5% (I play a lot of music)
    Android System 2%
    Android OS 2%
    Phone Idle 1%
    Facebook 1%
    Google Play Services 1%
    Voice Calls 1%
    WhatsApp 1%

The battery graph reads: 71% battery remaining with 11 hours remaining and "3 hours ago" (whatever that means).

I do not see stats for screen on time anywhere within the battery function settings though.... Is it staring me right in the face ??

Let it drain, no point looking with 71% and only 3 hours since charging. Nothing out off the ordinary there anyway.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Press screen on the list

ahhh ok....1 hr 35 min screen on time today so far..leaving 71% battery remaining.

How is that looking? Is it matching up to what it should be?..or falling below?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ahhh ok....1 hr 35 min screen on time today so far..leaving 71% battery remaining.

That looks perfectly fine. Youtube is killer on the battery front. It keeps the screen on all the time. (Assuming you're watching videos of music). But You're looking at over 4.5 hours of screen on time. That is decent going tbh.

That's perfectly fine. Puts you on track for 5 hrs sot over a full charge by my calculation. (1.5 / 29 x 100).

That looks perfectly fine. Youtube is killer on the battery front. It keeps the screen on all the time. (Assuming you're watching videos of music). But You're looking at over 4.5 hours of screen on time. That is decent going tbh.

Perfect... I am happy with that so. My main fear was with the device being 3 months old when i bought it that the battery would have been heavily abused before it made its way to me...

I had heard people talking about nearly a two day battery life prior to buying it but I think they were dreaming... or else exceptionally light users of their devices I guess..

I have noticed in the past two days that with far less use of the phone in comparison to the first two days when i was getting used to it and nearly streamed music on it all dy long, that the battery life is much much better than initially thought.

....... Although I am still intrigued as to what effects the "aggressive dose and app hibernation" option does???? More out of being inquisitive rather than anything else....

Streaming music will just kill any battery. There's no escaping it. It's worse when you're streaming over your mobile network, slightly better doing it over wifi. My phone gets me 6 hours of screen on time easily enough. But if I stream spotify it will reduce that to 4 hours or less without much bother.

So you have nothing to worry about! Enjoy the 3t, great device.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Plus the dash charging sort of lessens the battery life worries. Such a fantastic feature.

I get about a day and a half from my OnePlus3T. Moderate user.

Advertisement