Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone recommendations please.

Options
  • 20-09-2017 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My trusty Samsung S4 has kicked the bucket, so I'm on the look out for a new android phone. I used to have a standard bill pay contract with O2 and then 3, so always availed of an upgrade. But when they changed the contract months back I canceled and changed to 30 days sim only, so I'm afraid no upgrade.

I don't use the camera really, so having the best camera not a big issue. My main use is making calls, messaging, Viber and WhatsApp. I do use the internet in it quite a lot on the phone. The S4 wouldn't last a day, so good battery life is important. I liked the S4 for size, although it did seem to slow quite a bit, so something a bit more responsive with a good display would be good.

My budget is about the 200, 250 max. I am open to buying in the south or north and indeed online.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

NOKIA 6 is honestly what I would go for if you want to buy locally. I'm sure there are some amazing Xiaomi phones out there if you want fancy importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I just got a Sony experia L1, seems grand... Good big screen, haven't had much chance to do much with it yet.. But seems OK for 160 quid.. I wouldn't be the most demanding in terms of aps but I'm hoping the camera is good.
    . . Main niggle so far is the charger cable, almost exactly but not quite micro USB.. So I have stacks of chargers etc to chuck out..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BatMaths

Lenovo P2, has 4GB of ram, 32GB storage+ sd card storage. It has an excellent display, good speaker, and really good battery life. It last me about 3 days of medium-heavy usage. Can be picked up online for arouns 190 but watch out for tax. Amazing phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

NOKIA 6 is honestly what I would go for if you want to buy locally. I'm sure there are some amazing Xiaomi phones out there if you want fancy importing.

Thanks. Will take a look at that one. Did see the 6 in a three shop,but it had a dummy display. Nice phone.

BatMaths wrote: »
    Lenovo P2, has 4GB of ram, 32GB storage+ sd card storage. It has an excellent display, good speaker, and really good battery life. It last me about 3 days of medium-heavy usage. Can be picked up online for arouns 190 but watch out for tax. Amazing phone

Thanks. Will check this one out. Where can I see them in the flesh and where can I buy one for around 190?

• Advertisement

Not seeing the p2 online for around 200. Might just have to go for the Nokia 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tindog76

The Lenovo P2 is available from Komplett.ie and is around €310 including delivery and that is for the 4gb ram and 32gb of memory space. I purchased this a few months ago and am very happy with it. Heavy enough use will realistically get 2 full days usage. I previously had a Samsung S6 which had died on me. As I said, I am very happy with the Lenovo. You can get the 3gb ram version via O2 in the UK for around €200, but I am not sure about delivery to Ireland. I did a bit of research before I went with the P2.

With the Nokia 6 out of stock until late October, I'm still on the look out for a new phone. I did like the look of the Nokia 5 and when I used it right beside the Nokia 6 the speeds opening and using apps seemed very similar. If I was to call it I'd say the 5 was a little faster. I guess that could be down to the smaller 720p screen. To be honest I couldn't see much difference in the display when using them. Anyone with the 5, how has it been so far?

I did a bit of googling and it seems that a 1080 screen of the 5-5.5 inch size at the standard distance of use does not give the user any significant advantage. What is your personal experience?

I also looked at the moto g5. Seems good value with a 1080 screen and 5.2 display. Nice a fast also. I guess the stock Android on these moto and nokia phones also help in terms of performance. Seems to get good reviews also. My wife has a G4 and apart from the screen jumping from time to time, it seems solid. Anyone experience of the moto g5?

Pity the P2 has gone up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

450 e for samsung s8 sometimes on Amazon.it according to hot deals uk.

I think they are returns to amazon warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ohbarneyyy

You can try your luck to win a Galaxy S8 here:
    trkingepc.com/show.php?l=0&u=127973&id=14119

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zeno of Cithium

I think you can start up on a contract again with 3 again !? I think a great phone is the samsung a5 2017............ My sister has one and she loves it. Stellar battery life, 5.2 inch full hd amoled display and fast charging. Think its about 160 up front on the 30 quid a month contract.

You may get one for 300 quid on adverts brand new sim free from traders thereon. You can get a 20 quid a month sim only plan with iD(carphone warehouse) lots of texts/calls and 30 Gb of data. It piggybacks the 3 network but I cant vouch for what its like. You could claw back almost all the cost that way..........

Advertisement