Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle leg hoist

Options
  • 19-09-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Got approved for a leg hoist under Tams. Want a good one so need suggestions please if you have one that has proved itself. Not one that buckles over time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

brianb243 wrote: »
    Got approved for a leg hoist under Tams. Want a good one so need suggestions please if you have one that has proved itself. Not one that buckles over time!

Bought an o’donovan one at the start of the year as we would often have to remove stones from the cows when they are out on the beet. Usually its just himself at home and while we are well used to doing it is usually a 2 man job so said I’d get one to make it easier for us when we are on our own.

http://www.odonovaneng.ie/product/hoofnack/

Just a couple of notes on using them. All the videos have lovely quite dairy cows, our sucklers are relativity quite but when trying to lift their leg it is a different matter. I have had to make a few modifications to the unit.

• Once the cow starts kicking her leg the clasp was likely to open so I have removed the clip and now thread the rope around there leg through the loop (I would use a pike or bar to feed it around the leg to prevent getting arm broken).
    • Again if she starts kicking it will cause the rope to come off the bar so I’ll hold it to keep the strain on it.
    • The stop on the rachet jumped a few times due to the cow kicking and this would cause the rope to unwind so I put a spring on it to keep it down (make sure there is a spring fitted).
    • The pin holding the frame in place had no clip so came out a few times. I drilled a hole in it to put a wire to lock it in place.
    • The bottom of the frame can hold water so I drilled a hole to let it drain away.
    • Depending on how strong your crush bar is the lifter clamp can crush and bend the bar.
    • I use the lifter to lift the leg up to a working position but will then use another rope to tie the leg to the crush.
    • If she stubbornly wont lift the leg you can strain the frame and crush.

Try to have a look at the operation of a couple of them and make sure you can operate it while the cow is trying to kick it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When you think about it, a cow can put all the back of her weight on one leg no problem, so I'd say a heavy suckler around 800Kg could easily put 500Kg downward force on the hoist.
    The stronger the better. I agree big time with the above post. It's an eye opener when you actually use one. They can be dangerous enough.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Fully agree with all of ye. At the end of the day you're dealing with a large animal at very close proximity so use caution.

Proper use is key. I've seen lads trying to tie the rope just above the hoof of a hind leg and extend the foot back all the way....for a better view apparently. Absolute madness. Drives the cow cracked. Tie the rope just above the hock and lift from there. Give the cow or animal a chance to settle and gain its balance before working on it.

I borrow a hoist from a local vet. I'm not sure of a make as it's pretty old but like that you'd know yourself if it's good heavy quality metal. Watch the latches on the crank to make sure they are durable and strong. Any amount of big work to be done I get in the Hoofcare lads. They're properly trained and I'd be half the day doing what they do in 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭White Clover

They are a very dangerous piece of equipment. Lord knows why they are grant aided when really they are a health and safety hazard. Anything from broken teeth to a broken arm to worse is possible with one of them.

They are a very dangerous piece of equipment. Lord knows why they are grant aided when really they are a health and safety hazard. Anything from broken teeth to a broken arm to worse is possible with one of them.

handling cattle is very dangerous but like every piece of equipment they need to be used correctly. i certainly find it a lot easier to raise the leg so that i can tie it to work on it.

its more knowledge and use of them that is dangerous. TBH im not going to call in FRS to get a stone out of a hoof or pare a hoof i know i can do myself so need to be able to do it right and safely

• Advertisement

yellow50HX wrote: »
    handling cattle is very dangerous but like every piece of equipment they need to be used correctly. i certainly find it a lot easier to raise the leg so that i can tie it to work on it.

its more knowledge and use of them that is dangerous. TBH im not going to call in FRS to get a stone out of a hoof or pare a hoof i know i can do myself so need to be able to do it right and safely

I'm not disagreeing with you that they're handy the odd time. They're a balls tho cause you end up tying the leg to the crush to keep it steady. What happens when the cow goes down then?

My point is that the dept should not be grant aiding such a dangerous piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

brianb243 wrote: »

Is there still a minimum spend of €2K for TAMS, i assume youre getting something else also?
    I dont know which one you shoud get but get a properly made one. Dont be like me and get a cheapo pile of crap in the shop in Carnaross mart that was made in some lads garage.
    Using those yokes is a two man job with sucklers anyway, definitely need someone holding the cows tail up while the other lad tries to put on the rope without getting his arm broke or head kicked.

tanko wrote: »
    Is there still a minimum spend of €2K for TAMS, i assume youre getting something else also?
    I dont know which one you shoud get but get a properly made one. Dont be like me and get a cheapo pile of crap in the shop in Carnaross mart that was made in some lads garage.
    Using those yokes is a two man job with sucklers anyway, definitely need someone holding the cows tail up while the other lad tries to put on the rope without getting his arm broke or head kicked.

i usually use a pike for this and have a bar with a hook on it to pull the rope away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

yellow50HX wrote: »
    i usually use a pike for this and have a bar with a hook on it to pull the rope away.
    Same here. Shur if you're at the ploughing get one of those plastic sticks. Plenty long to guide the rope around.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I'm not disagreeing with you that they're handy the odd time. They're a balls tho cause you end up tying the leg to the crush to keep it steady. What happens when the cow goes down then?

My point is that the dept should not be grant aiding such a dangerous piece of equipment.

if the cow is held right in the crush then she wont go down.
    that said it has happened to us a few times if they try to twist, so we have a few ways to do it;

1) 2nd person holds the strain on the rope, once it is wrapped a few times you can hold a cow in place easily. if she goes down you let go of the rope and it releases her.
    2) Rope is tied in a quick release knot
    3) knife to cut rope.
    4) leg lifter has a quick release
    5) crush can open sideways to release downed animal (have a heavy hammer close by to open latch in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Use that hoofnak here, will did until I lifted the bull got him paired but the pressure he put on it broke it but it was old and rust was an issue on threadings. Have never tied the rear leg to a crush when lifted, lift it good and high and I used to stay in close to the animal, it's like hurling more likely to get a worse belt if standing further away. Agree with most of the second post there, need good crush bars. Must replace also but considering going for a crate instead. The extra support of the band under the belly and stands to tie the the front legs to when paring would be very handy. Frs are grand but they may not arrive for a couple of days and the damage would be done by the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭visatorro

Bought hoist off connacht agri a few years ago. The clip pulled off the rope and the clip itself broke. Harmless enough yoke but in fairness saved a couple of cows with it.
    Anyone know how much the inspect4 crates are? They look a good job if your handling large numbers.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Use that hoofnak here, will did until I lifted the bull got him paired but the pressure he put on it broke it but it was old and rust was an issue on threadings. Have never tied the rear leg to a crush when lifted, lift it good and high and I used to stay in close to the animal, it's like hurling more likely to get a worse belt if standing further away. Agree with most of the second post there, need good crush bars. Must replace also but considering going for a crate instead. The extra support of the band under the belly and stands to tie the the front legs to when paring would be very handy. Frs are grand but they may not arrive for a couple of days and the damage would be done by the delay

An urgent lameness call should be dealt with urgently, i.e. call in morning, done that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

A good wide strap/sling under the cows chest and take the weight with the loader will make life a lot easier and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Like the head scoop. A brilliant yolk but if it flys up and your head is in the way it would leave you with a nice dentists bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭blackdog1

visatorro wrote:
    Bought hoist off connacht agri a few years ago. The clip pulled off the rope and the clip itself broke. Harmless enough yoke but in fairness saved a couple of cows with it. Anyone know how much the inspect4 crates are? They look a good job if your handling large numbers.

Inspect 4 crates are a great job but something like 12-16 k if I remember correctly. I get a guy who has one of I'm doing a large amount. For the odd 1 I do myself I use the foot hoist.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

What is the best leg hoist available today? I can spend hundreds not thousands. I will be using it on my own with a 550kg Bullock.

Thanks for any reviews.

What is the best leg hoist available today? I can spend hundreds not thousands. I will be using it on my own with a 550kg Bullock.

Thanks for any reviews.

My advice is don't bother with one. They are dangerous for man and beast.
    If you only need to lift a beast's leg occasionally, ring your local Farm Relief. You'll get a proper crate and an expert man to sort your problem. The price of the hoist would pay for a few call outs.
    If using weekly or more frequent, buy your own crate complete with belly band etc.

Advertisement