Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd story extension & roof job

Options
  • 19-09-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Our house is a 4 bed semi-d, with a single story garage conversion to the side. We are throwing about the idea of building over our garage conversion to give us an extra bedroom and a bigger bathroom, blended into the main body of the house. The roof will have to be brought across over this new level. The house currently has a hip roof and we are toying with the idea of converting it to a gable if planning permits to make the attic a much bigger space. We chatted to an architect about this and he wasn't able to give a cost estimate as such. We have a particular budget available and are reluctant to spend two thousand or so on architects drawings for planning permission without knowing what ball park figure a job like this might cost. Would anybody who has got this kind of job done be able to share what the job included and the kind of costs incurred so that we might be a bit more clued in to what project like this might entail. The existing garage conversion is 2.3 by 10 metres. I see that building prices are roughly €1100 per square metre in Dublin, meaning just over €25k for the second level, but then there's the whole moving the roof across & converting the attic into a room with stairs up to it. Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The first hurdle would be to determine if the existing garage walls and foundations can take 2 storey.

You may have to remove gagare, and start from the ground up.

Also, €1100 per square meter in Dublin, not a chance. Closer to €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enola79

kceire wrote: »
    The first hurdle would be to determine if the existing garage walls and foundations can take 2 storey.

Talking to people over the phone I've been told that foundations can be underpinned. Not a cheap job I know, but neither would knocking & rebuilding and we'd like to keep the existing garage intact

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

In my experience the Garage will always be cold

Not a chance you'll do this for €1100p/m2 to building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I'm starting ground floor extension build on a 3 bed semi-d in the next few weeks (south dub).
    Roughly speaking (cos we are getting some work done on the inside of existing and getting the electrics/plumbing done separately) I'm paying close to 3k/m2

Its not your average box design (couple of odd angles, no curves), and there's a bit of steel involved, but after that its basic finish, kitchen separate.

This was the lowest of 3 quotes. Other 2 were 15% and 25% higher!

Just to give you an idea of cost.

Advertisement