Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job change while on sick leave

Options
  • 19-09-2017 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone I would like some advice please.

It's a bit long but I'll shorten it as much as possible.

Last year roughly may a ballot was done in my work place which is a big call centre with some back office work. 600 or so people work there 550 work on phones and 50 work in the back office roughly which is no phone work at all but deals with other things for the company, the people in the back office were promoted through interviews after working a set amount of time on phone's. The ballot was to off shore some of the back office work and give everyone a pay rise. Obviously the 550 voted in favour and the 50 or so did not.
    After it passed it was advised that anyone with a permanent back office contract would stay in that role which amounted to some of the 50 as some of them were on temp contracts.
    There was months of back and forth between our department and the work slowly was off shores bit by bit. During the back and forth us on permanent contracts were told wed be moved and then that we wouldn't and then we would so you can see where this going, ultimately it went nowhere and everyone just continues on as normal in their roles.
    I went on sick leave for a few reasons for a few months on doctors orders and since then I've been noticed by the company I've been moved to a department that is "some phone and some back office". I have also been informed that my department is still there with my colleagues and have not been given an explanation why I have been moved other than due to the ballot and this is the most suitable alternative role they could find. I have told them I am not accepting this and they will need to find a full back office role for me as that is what my contract states.
    It is not a suitable alternative in my opinion and is a demotion due to the type work involved but what also is annoying is I have been moved and no one else has and I've been singled out for being sick.
    Can anyone offer some constructive advice on this situation or had something similar happen to them?

Advertisement