Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QQI (FETAC) Allowance Reduction!?

Options
  • 19-09-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could anyone help me out please?

I recently started a QQI (Fetac) Level 5 course. I was on disability allowance at which the rate is €193. In my new course, I missed only one day in the week and got an allowance reduction of €42 for missing just the one day?

1. Would it normally be that much for missing one day? is there a certain amount?
    2. Can you get docked pay for being like 10 minutes late?

Hope someone can help,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭artichoke

I finished a QQI Fetac Level 5 course last May. There were no reductions when I missed a day at college. There was a guy in my class who missed quite a few days, arrived late, left earlier....never got his JA reducted....I wonder did the rules change this year? Never heard of anyone having reductions for missing a day on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Are you still claiming DA or did you switch to payments from BTEA/VTOS? If you switched to one of these then not surprised they docked you, they do so very easily if you miss. If you are still on DA I don't understand how they would have, or why.

As to the second poster I didn't know it was possible to do a full time Level 5 and still receive JA, since you are not available for full time work. Are you sure the person on your course was in receipt of that particular payment?

hdowney wrote: »
    Are you still claiming DA or did you switch to payments from BTEA/VTOS? If you switched to one of these then not surprised they docked you, they do so very easily if you miss. If you are still on DA I don't understand how they would have, or why.

As to the second poster I didn't know it was possible to do a full time Level 5 and still receive JA, since you are not available for full time work. Are you sure the person on your course was in receipt of that particular payment?

That was my mistake,:o you are correct , i meant BTEA, he was on JA before he started the course. Was a mix up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Pacman2D

hdowney wrote: »

Thanks for your input, I am not claiming DA anymore because payment was switched to ETB.

If it is an ETB course, that is different to the PLC course I attended. I received BTEA. Any day you miss on your ETB course you get docked as it is treated like you miss a day in work. They are quite strict with time keeping too on those ETB courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Pacman,

193 a week divided by 5 days = 38.60

If you r course is 5 full days they may have taken too much.

But if one day is shorter than the others (eg get our early or start late) it could be right if calculated by the hours missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Pacman2D

Hi there,

The course is Monday to Thursday, 9am - 4pm and Friday 9am - 1pm

Advertisement