Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job postings don't know WTF they're talking about...

Options
  • 19-09-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that in job postings they require every single JS framework to be known?

For example, earlier on today I clicked on an advertisement for a Frontend Angular Developer position, under this it then had the following requirements.

2 Years JEE / Java Spring Solutions
    3-5 Years Ember.js, React.js, NodeJS, AngularJS, Angular......

I mean, when looking for a FE position, and seeing Angular in the title would anyone else expect those requirements to be in there, I understand you may need a bit of experience to know how to start your servers and such but come on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Seems to be typical IT HR adverts, list every possible skillset and hope you get someone with atleast one of them.

If you had all the experience and knowledge for any particular job spec, then you wouldn't be applying for it, you would be applying for a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Talisman

Today I spoke to somebody who last week was offered the opportunity to apply for an internship that required 2 years Python and JavaScript experience, the best part was that the internship was unpaid. Who in their right mind would consider such a proposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Has anyone else noticed that in job postings they require every single JS framework to be known?

For example, earlier on today I clicked on an advertisement for a Frontend Angular Developer position, under this it then had the following requirements.

2 Years JEE / Java Spring Solutions
    3-5 Years Ember.js, React.js, NodeJS, AngularJS, Angular......

I mean, when looking for a FE position, and seeing Angular in the title would anyone else expect those requirements to be in there, I understand you may need a bit of experience to know how to start your servers and such but come on!

Heh. I got screened out by a recruiter a few weeks back for a contract which required min 10 years in all of C++, Java, .NET, Angular, Oracle/SQL Server, Javascript and a few web technologies I wasn't familiar with. All for < €400/day central Dublin. Oh, and of course the contract is in medical devices, the fact they've got web services in a medical device, well ...

Now, I know the C++ contracting market is bad in Ireland right now. Not a single new C++ contract posted on indeed.ie this week anywhere in Ireland, and day rates are down. But come on, who - who isn't lying - is going to be a 10 year experienced C++, Java, .NET, database AND web programmer?

It's like that during downturns though. They raise the requirements to unachievable levels, and then bleat about "skills shortages". I can tell you that the phone screen with the recruiter was pretty fun, basically me repeatedly saying "not used that technology in five/ten/twenty years" and at the end he thanked me for my honesty. Which was nice.

Roll on Brexit-related juicy HFT contracts is all I can say.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I am quite looking forward to seeing what lovely companies decide to set up shop in Ireland once Brexit happens! I'd say then the rates for contractors may go through the roof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Another thing i've noticed in a lot of advertisements (on the search at the moment so will be seeing a lot of adverts).

Refer a Friend

We will give you 500 Euro if you recommend a friend who is successfully placed in this role.

So basically where you see a role with unachievable requirements refer your friend who they're hoping is a bit more gullible than you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Even better, the job might be fake - they just want to harvest cvs.

@ned: Got current contract role by applying directly, employer hates recruiters and won't use. Look for jobs advertised on monster etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

This ad looks to be a classic CV haverster Ad - throw the net wide and get as many CV as they can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah I see it all the time OP. Experience required in Java & .Net for a 100% a database dev role. Dev roles where you're required to be an experienced DBA. It's crazy, and a bit funny. I can't imaging they ever get anyone with all (or even most) of the requirements.

The latest sh*te I've had is recruiters contacting me directly to ask "hey we've got this really cool role available in your technology could you help us find someone to fill it", not even asking if I would be interested myself like. Basically like "hey I've reviewed your profile and thought you were not good enough for this role but hey give us a hand finding someone else eh?!".

So very tempted to tell them to go and f*ck themselves.

Another thing i've noticed in a lot of advertisements (on the search at the moment so will be seeing a lot of adverts).

Refer a Friend

We will give you 500 Euro if you recommend a friend who is successfully placed in this role.

So basically where you see a role with unachievable requirements refer your friend who they're hoping is a bit more gullible than you!

In the US they pay 15% of the 15% of the annual salary they get for successfully placing a candidate which is about 2.5%. That can be a nice little sideline actually, a few grand per person placed. In SV some colleagues of mine have an informal network where they all have each other placed as they rotate between roles and they collectively pocket a good few hundred dollars per year each, enough for a nice meal together. Indeed at the higher end, it's not unusual for top talent to retain a recruiter or two as "their" recruiter/agent. I've seen attempts at the same in London in HFT, but the kickbacks aren't as generous, and if you're paying 55-60% taxes then it's not really worth it anyway.

BTW I've heard that in Ireland, assuming you ever get it at all, the €500 is paid in gift vouchers for tax purposes. You don't get a cheque nor cash.

Niall

srsly78 wrote: »
    @ned: Got current contract role by applying directly, employer hates recruiters and won't use. Look for jobs advertised on monster etc.

Already got several automated keyword matching searches running on the main job site aggregators. Also tried the route of finding permanent C++ jobs being advertised which exactly match me, and trying it on for them hiring me under contract instead. No joy yet. They want me to relocate permanently.

Meanwhile, I've been turning down firm contract offers from Belgium, Germany and London which sucks. Wife says no to those. And we can afford to wait a little longer for something Irish or remote to turn up.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

14ned wrote: »
    Heh. I got screened out by a recruiter a few weeks back for a contract which required min 10 years in all of C++, Java, .NET, Angular, Oracle/SQL Server, Javascript and a few web technologies I wasn't familiar with. All for < €400/day central Dublin. Oh, and of course the contract is in medical devices, the fact they've got web services in a medical device, well ...

Now, I know the C++ contracting market is bad in Ireland right now. Not a single new C++ contract posted on indeed.ie this week anywhere in Ireland, and day rates are down. But come on, who - who isn't lying - is going to be a 10 year experienced C++, Java, .NET, database AND web programmer?

It's like that during downturns though. They raise the requirements to unachievable levels, and then bleat about "skills shortages". I can tell you that the phone screen with the recruiter was pretty fun, basically me repeatedly saying "not used that technology in five/ten/twenty years" and at the end he thanked me for my honesty. Which was nice.

Roll on Brexit-related juicy HFT contracts is all I can say.

Niall

Hilarious that they're looking for someone with 10 years experience in angular.

They'll be wanting 10 years in the IOT space next......

Hilarious that they're looking for someone with 10 years experience in angular.

They'll be wanting 10 years in the IOT space next......

In fairness it was ten years in angular/react something/jQuery/something else/something still else/etc. Some long list of JavaScripty technologies. I'm not a web programmer, so not all the JS frameworks were familiar to me, but I understood it as "deep JavaScript experience across many frameworks".

I get what the client was looking for: one engineer who can do it all, saves having to hire two. But still. Web programmers and systems programmers tend to not come in one package, and if they do, they're earning half a million a year in SV. Not 400/day in Ireland.

Niall

Advertisement