Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External filter not working

Options
  • 19-09-2017 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

I bought a nice 200l tank secondhand recently..everything seems to be going well except I cannot get the external filter to work. The intake pipe is in the water and that seems ok although I have the outlet pipe slightly up and out (to create bubbles)..the filter will switch on and I can here it running but it wont suck water for some reason. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there water in the pipes coming out?
    Sounds like you have an air blockage or the pipes are not secure allowing air in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

On the top of the filter, there is sometimes a little handle that pulls out and back in.

That's the primer. Pump that a bit to suck water into the unit, flush air out and prime it.

If it's a self-priming unit, then rtm or take it back to the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

So the outlet pipe doesnt have to be imerssed?

MysticMonk wrote: »

I would imagine yes, to prevent air returning to pump if it's turned off.

MysticMonk wrote: »

I have a spray bar above the water and never have a problem with air in the pipe, it's not possible for air to go down the outlet pipe

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    I have a spray bar above the water and never have a problem with air in the pipe, it's not possible for air to go down the outlet pipe

One way valve?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    One way valve?

Not sure what you mean, there are no valves on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

What make of filter is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Its an Aqua One filter

Advertisement