Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet Measurement

Options
  • 19-09-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Anyone with a bit of knowledge/expertise in carpet I would be interested in your opinion.

We have a 151 sq metre townhouse where we are getting fitted out for carpets. The ground floor measures 64 sq metres on its own and is not getting any carpets (tiles and wood only).

4 bedrooms, landing and two stairs which we have measured at approximately 90 sq metres. There are 4 bathrooms in the house all tiled as well and are not included in any carpet measurements.

I get it there is wastage but is a 115 square metre carpet quote realistic for about 90 odd sq metres of measurements?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, your post has been moved to the Interior Design & Decoration forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Yes that would be realistic, but get a second quote to be sure. Most carpets are available in either a 4M width or a 5M width, and is directional, you cannot turn it. So taking a basic 3Mx3M room, it would require a piece of carpet 3Mx4M to cover it, resulting in 3M2 wastage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

morrga wrote: »
    Anyone with a bit of knowledge/expertise in carpet I would be interested in your opinion.

We have a 151 sq metre townhouse where we are getting fitted out for carpets. The ground floor measures 64 sq metres on its own and is not getting any carpets (tiles and wood only).

4 bedrooms, landing and two stairs which we have measured at approximately 90 sq metres. There are 4 bathrooms in the house all tiled as well and are not included in any carpet measurements.

I get it there is wastage but is a 115 square metre carpet quote realistic for about 90 odd sq metres of measurements?

Lot of waste in carpets unless you want loads of joins (you don't)
    The waste could be used on the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ishidaogo

It should be possible to plan it all together assuming the same colour is used and have less waste.
    PM me the room sizes and I will let you know
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhinoplast03

morrga wrote: »

The quote you received seems quite excessive to me! An extra 25m2 of carpet is equal to 6.25 linear meters of carpet x the regular width of 4m. That size carpet will easily cover an above-average- sized living room! Either the areas in the townhouse are shaped awkwardly, requiring a lot of extra carpet for joins or the people who quoted you are wrong.
    I’ve been the the business for almost 30 years and I’ve seen how much people get ripped off for materials they paid for bit did not receive. If you haven’t got the job done yet I would advise getting a quantity estimation from someone in the industry you know you can trust. It could save you hundreds of euros by paying a decent carpet fitter, for example, to measure up properly. It might cost you a relatively small fee to get the truth of how much materials you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement