Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "married one of these people??"

Options
  • 19-09-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for grandparents, know both names and where they were married - eloped to Liverpool. Now I have found only one record to match both their names on findmypast but the record has xx "married one of these people" and it shows my grandmother's name and the name of another woman. What does this mean?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you seeing the actual document or a transcription?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

sounds like the cross-match possibilities on FindMyPast or Ancestry.

If the marriage took place between 1882 and 1940 the full details should be included on the free IrishGenealogy website, if it's between 1845 and 1881 then it's worth checking the extracted civil marriage collection on FamilySearch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

A page in the civil marriage register index had several couples on it so the matching algorithm shows the other opposite gendered people on the page. This applies to uk and Irish marriages. If it's in Liverpool, you will have to order the cert from the UK GRO.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

totally missed that the possible marriage was in Liverpool... if it was a Catholic marriage you may find details in the "Liverpool, England, Catholic Marriages, 1754-1921" collection on Ancestry. These seem to include register images and transcripts which include father's names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The 'one of these people' is a regular on the Familysearch site and occurs (as Pinky said in #4) from the number of entries on a page. For those without a 'pay site' subscription it can be circumvented by searching again using the different spouse combinations and when the appropriate match is found it can be confirmed by adding a known child's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi,

Thanks for replies. The marriage was in Liverpool and I am using FindmyPast which shows a transcription and image of marriage register but this just shows list of people married and not who they married. I have tried as suggested to search in the opposite i.e from Spouse details and there are two male names mentioned for this marriage "married one of these people" again. However both Grandfather and Grandmother refer to the same Vol and Page so I think I have the right people so might just order a cert and see what arrives. Thanks for input.

Advertisement