Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feeding dashcam from main battery

Options
  • 18-09-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Well I installed a blackvue dashcam and it's certainly better than the other heap of sh!te I had. It's not randomly recording events and for the most part, it's doing what it should.

The problem I am having is with the hardwire kit and possibly with wifi connection, but I need to get the hardwire kit sorted. When I turn the car off, the cam goes into parking mode, which is supposed to happen. It is set to turn off the cam if the volts drop below 12V. It seems to do this after a couple of hours. I either have a weak battery, or something else is up. I know there are quite a few reports about weak/dead batteries, so I won't feed from the 12V battery without the safety cut-off of the "power magic pro".

I also have the wifi modem, which I would like to hardwire too. It currently only charges when the car is on and it interferes with the radio somehow because it's plugged in via the usb port.

So I have a question for those who better know the Leaf. Can I get a feed from the main battery to power my dash cam and my wifi modem? I'm thinking a feed from the ignition feed is what I need, but just wanted to check first.

If yes, the sacrifice will be that the cam will not enter parking mode, because it will not be connected to the 12V battery and will not recognise the voltage change when the car is powered down. I can live with that if I know the cam will stay on.

Advertisement