Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europeans studies, tell me all you know!!

Options
  • 18-09-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Highly considering European studies and I'd love to know about it. Would love to work in the dáil/ eu/ un. Tell me the course structure thinking of doing Spanish or Italian as minor/ German as major. Didn't do history for lc
    1. What are the history modules like for es? Are they tricky/ boring/ interesting even if you aren't that interested in history.
    2. Can I focus more on political modules such as international relations and European Union politics etc. After first year??
    3. What do you love/ hate about the course?
    4. Tips on European studies in general
    Would greatly appreciate!! Thank you sooo much in advance!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ubisoft5

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sugarcube

If you want to work for the EU or UN, French is advisable. Re. your other language - German useful for EU but is not an official UN language. Spanish is an official UN language. Forget about Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blithe

Hey. I'm a JS European studies student currently on my year abroad. To answer your questions:

1. I personally love history, so my answer here might be a bit biased. In First year, I took History of Modern Spain (compulsory for Spanish students) and a module on Early Modern Europe (compulsory for European studies students) and also the history of ideas (compulsory for us too). History of Modern Spain is interesting (teacher not particularly great), only requires a project, no exam. Early modern European was v interesting, good teachers. History of ideas is tough, esp at first, but worth it imo.

2. Yeah, in second year it's possible to study International relations (again, tough but worth it) and comparative politics (didn't do this myself, so can't say much on it)
    3. What I love: v varied, not limiting yourself to just languages, or just history, etc. Spanish department is disorganized but their teaching is brilliant. Contained course, so small enough that everyone knows eachother. Good opportunities for Erasmus/other exchanges.
    What I don't love: French department/classes. Can be quite demanding at times.
    4. General tips: I'll just say that it's a course that people either really enjoy, or it just doesn't suit you. We've lost a few people since first year who have transferred to a different course/college, but the people who've stayed on really love the course. I think it's the variation and mix of subjects on offer that people like, for me it felt like I didn't have to sacrifice any of my interests in favour of another.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement