Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Teen cyclist accident - report to Garda?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

It was around four pm and i was driving down the road. When i came to a small T junction. Parking alongside a Tesco home delivery van that was parked on the pavement. I was behind some Electricity van.

Suddenly there is a loud crunching like sound with a brief pause before a male voice shouting, 'I'm good!'

Looking in the passenger side window i see a senior from the local secondary school. he is on his back lying on top of his bike, slowly getting up.

I quickly get out and run around the back. He is already up and picking up his bike being helped by the Tesco man. I ask him if he is alright. He says, 'I'm grand **** breaks, no damage to the car or truck.'

Looking I see no damage.

The teen brings his bike to the roadside does some adjustment to his disk breaks with what looked like an L wrench.

Gets on his bike says 'Good day,' day before cycling off.

My car is fine and so was the Tesco van.

My question is do i have to report this to the Gardai? The teen seemed a bit shaken, (as anyone would) but a part from that looked fine, didn't give a name or details. All I know is that he rides a blue bike and is in senior year and is from the local secondary school.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If both parties agree its not significant you're ok to continue.

I'd be slow to think he'll claim against you so probably fine not informing your insurer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Same thing happened to me OP, kid on his way to school on the path, me stopping at a t junction. As I am looking right, he runs into my left side and gave me a fright, as my first thought was I had somehow missed seeing a cyclist. As I got out he is at pains to say sorry, but his brakes were not working. Once I made sure he was alright, I then gave him an earful about being on the path. He was on his way and that was that. I had a similar thought to you, but that was the end of it.

Advertisement