Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrape eir(com) DSLStats

Options
  • 18-09-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭

I use Linux, hence the reason this post is in this section.

dslstats.eir.ie/commoncgi/dslstats/showstats.cgi?username=<phone number>&password=<account number>&sid=<some sequence of letters>

Above is the format of a URL to view the usage statics for a DSL broadband account on an eir line.

What I would like to do is to monitor that usage without using a browser. I expect that wget with some options or such might manage to scrape the numbers, but I have failed to get any information so far.

Has anyone with eir broadband done this?
    If so, care to share how?

I am clueless regarding web things so have no idea what I am doing.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

I use Linux, hence the reason this post is in this section.

dslstats.eir.ie/commoncgi/dslstats/showstats.cgi?username=<phone number>&password=<account number>&sid=<some sequence of letters>

Above is the format of a URL to view the usage statics for a DSL broadband account on an eir line.

What I would like to do is to monitor that usage without using a browser. I expect that wget with some options or such might manage to scrape the numbers, but I have failed to get any information so far.

Has anyone with eir broadband done this?
    If so, care to share how?

I am clueless regarding web things so have no idea what I am doing.

Any help appreciated.

I could write a scraper for you in python. It wouldnt take very long. However I dont have an eir account.

Could you save the webpage and send it to me for testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I could write a scraper for you in python. It wouldnt take very long. However I dont have an eir account.

Could you save the webpage and send it to me for testing?

Thanks, that would be great.

I hope this is what you mean

https://www.dropbox.com/deleted

Let me know if there is something else.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I seem to have found the correct means of getting the info using wget.

I had been using this form of URL
    wget dslstats.eir.ie/commoncgi/dslstats/showstats.cgi?username=<phone number>&password=<account number>

When I changed it (after lots of trial and error) to
    wget --post-data='username=<phone number>&password=<account number>' dslstats.eir.ie/commoncgi/dslstats/showstats.cgi?

I got the page saved.

I can then extract the stats info from the saved page.

Thanks for reading, and particular thanks to denartha for the really kind offer to write a python script for me.

HappyChappy :D

Advertisement