Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Law 1930's

Options
  • 18-09-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I've found a document regarding some relatives that say that a family member was in receipt of Poor Law charity payments. The record is from the 1930's. From what I can gather they were receiving some kind of welfare payment. This doesn't add up looking at my family tree! Has anyone got any idea where I might find records of these payments - I'm hoping the records might shed some light on the reasons behind the payments.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Where did they live?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Hi Pinky - they lived in Dublin

I've never heard of anyone accessing social welfare records for genealogical purposes. By the 1930s, most of the Poor Law acts didn't exist anymore, except for workhouses in Dublin, which remained to cope with the larger urban population. Have you looked at the workhouse and prison records on FMP?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi Pinky,

My thinking was that the family might have to explain why they needed welfare. It might give me more info as to why they were in the situation they were in.

The family weren't in a workhouse - they lived with another family member. What are you thinking regarding prison records?

If someone in the family was in prison, the rest might need assistance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hmmm... that's a good idea! I'll check FMP. I think the father of the house was a drinker but don't think he had been in prison. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Within a couple of years of Independence the Poor Law Union system was abolished in the 26 counties and ‘County Boards of Health’ replaced it. The Workhouses at the same time also changed and became either County Homes or hospitals of one kind or another (County, District or Fever). Some older people still referred to the County Home as ‘The Workhouse’ but I’ve never encountered the phrase ‘Poor Law charity payments’ - aid usually was invariably was called 'Relief' and usually in food, not cash.
    I suspect either the historic term ‘Poor Law charity’ was used for a social welfare payment or that the charity referred to were paid in the past (pre-Free State) to an earlier generation.

Advertisement