Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What rights do I have for wrong glasses?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hopefully someone on here can help me!
    I had my eyes tested last week and I needed a change of lenses to a new prescription. The lady asked if I wanted these new lenses to be slimmed down (as they would be very thick otherwise). I said yes.
    I was then led upstairs to pick frames and that lady went back downstairs. I was then dealt with by someone else. She asked me if I wanted to have anti glare coating on the lenses. I said yes.
    I then paid for frames, lenses (90e) and test.

I picked up The 2 pairs of glasses today from optician. The lenses are not slimmed down. They just have the anti glare coating. He told me there must have been a misunderstanding and that if I wanted them slimmed down, if have to pay for new lenses (150). He told me go and think about it and come back if I wanted them changed.
    My problem is that I would be out of pocket for 90e if I do that! I hate how thick the glasses are. I would have had no problem paying the 150e first day nor would I have a problem paying the 60e difference to what I was charged originally. But what do I do now? What rights do I have? Do I just accept that I'll have to fork out again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

you have not been charged for slimmed down lenses, is that correct?

Does your receipt reference slimmed down lenses? my gut feeling is not for €90 euro it doesn't? can you confirm. If it comes down to your word vs her wordthen it could be a misunderstanding. You are entitled to what you paid for, so check that receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What is the €150 for?
    Is it for a new set of prescription lenses and slimmed down and the coating? Or is it just the first two because you've already paid for the coating?
    Depending on your prescription it can cost a lot to thin the lens and of course you have to pay for the lens itself too, I'm not sure you're being charged twice for the coating at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

On the receipt it has 5 letters (ushrd) and a value of 90 against it. I hadn't a clue how much slimming down cost so assumed that was it.
    I really don't think it's a misunderstanding. It seems like the girl who asked me initially if I wanted them forgot to put it on the prescription or else the 2nd girl overlooked it. If the receipt was clearer I'd have spotted it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

There were 2 of them there saying the same thing. That I would have to pay 150e. If I refused to take them, they would have my money and glasses. I felt like I didn't have a choice. Hindsight is a great thing now, I should have asked for a manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

There were 2 of them there saying the same thing. That I would have to pay 150e. If I refused to take them, they would have my money and glasses. I felt like I didn't have a choice. Hindsight is a great thing now, I should have asked for a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

ali_d wrote: »
    On the receipt it has 5 letters (ushrd) and a value of 90 against it. I hadn't a clue how much slimming down cost so assumed that was it.
    I really don't think it's a misunderstanding. It seems like the girl who asked me initially if I wanted them forgot to put it on the prescription or else the 2nd girl overlooked it. If the receipt was clearer I'd have spotted it at the time.
    *Ignore what I said here*
    Can you put up a picture of your receipt?

Miike wrote: »
    This has to be getting the glasses thinned. I have my receipt in-front of me and mine has UCSC (UltraClear SuperClean) which is the anti-glare. I did not get mine thinned so by the power of deduction USHRD must be thinning?

Thinning is 75-90 euros PER PAIR so you can assume you've paid for them to be thinned. Go talk to manager :)

She also has to pay for the prescription remember?? €90 isn't enough for thinning and antiglare and prescription lenses.

She also has to pay for the prescription remember?? €90 isn't enough for thinning and antiglare and prescription lenses.

I misunderstood her breakdown of pricing I think. I'll be able to compare my receipt with theirs if they put it up :)

In specsavers when you get the lenses thinned you get the Antiglare coating as part of thinning for "free"

• Advertisement

I have gotten the letters wrong.... I didn't have the receipt in front of me. It was UCSC I paid for.
    I can't upload a pic but this is what receipt said:
    Test 30e
    Prsi cover -30
    1 x glasses 189e
    1 x ucsc 45
    1 x glasses 189e
    2 for 1 glasses offer -189
    1 x ucsc

The 189 includes single vision lenses in my prescription.

I know now I should have been charged 75e + for the thinning per pair. I would have had no issue paying that when I ordered. Nor would i have a problem paying it now for new lenses but minus the 90e I've already paid for what I thought were thinned lenses.

I have gotten the letters wrong.... I didn't have the receipt in front of me. It was UCSC I paid for.
    Test 30e
    Prsi cover -30
    1 x glasses 189e
    1 x ucsc 45
    1 x glasses 189e
    1 x ucsc

I know now I should have been charged 75e + for the thinning per pair. I would have had no issue paying that when I ordered. Nor would i have a problem paying it now for new lenses but minus the 90e I've already paid for what I thought were thinned lenses.

Have you asked them what the €150 is for exactly?

Depending on your prescription thinning can be upwards of €100 mine was €120 recently because I wanted a very lightweight frame and needed my lenses to be superthinned.

Depending on your prescription thinning can be upwards of €100 mine was €120 recently because I wanted a very lightweight frame and needed my lenses to be superthinned.

The 150 would be 75e x 2 pairs. I know that's minimum pricing. I would pay whatever it cost.
    I wish I had researched prices beforehand but I had set a budget so wasn't fixated on cost, I just wanted to be happy with what I wear on my face everyday.

Test 30e
    Prsi cover -30
    1 x glasses 189e
    1 x ucsc 45
    1 x glasses 189e
    1 x ucsc

Okay the UCSC is the antiglare coating. There was an error made by the person who ordered your lenses. When you order thinned glasses you get the UCSC for "FREE".

I'd suggest going to speak to the manager as it's an error they've made, not you. I wouldn't dream of giving them extra €150 euros for a mistake they made when they ordered them. Tell them take the cost of the antiglare coating (90) from the cost of getting them thinned.

Okay the UCSC is the antiglare coating. There was an error made by the person who ordered your lenses. When you order thinned glasses you get the UCSC for "FREE".

I'd suggest going to speak to the manager as it's an error they've made, not you. I wouldn't dream of giving them extra €150 euros for a mistake they made when they ordered them. Tell them take the cost of the antiglare coating (90) from the cost of getting them thinned.

Did she say it was specsavers? Were you told it was free op?

If not then you are only being charged to have them thinned, you should have been charged the €150 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

150 is for another totally separate pair of lenses as far as I can make out.
    Looks like the shop is is saying it was up to op to make sure everything was on the order form. Op missed the mistake so the shop is saying her mistake & if she wants what she thought she was getting she has to pay full price to start from scratch.

If it was one of the big chains I would have thought they would only charge the difference of what was paid. I'm not sure who is in the right but the difference is 75. I honestly thought a big shop would as a gesture of good will help op out

Did she say it was specsavers?

UCSC is on the receipt, that's a Specsavers coating.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    150 is for another totally separate pair of lenses as far as I can make out.
    Looks like the shop is is saying it was up to op to make sure everything was on the order form. Op missed the mistake so the shop is saying her mistake & if she wants what she thought she was getting she has to pay full price to start from scratch.

If it was one of the big chains I would have thought they would only charge the difference of what was paid. I'm not sure who is in the right but the difference is 75. I honestly thought a big shop would as a gesture of good will help op out

Well she's not paying full price from scratch though she's paying only for what was missed.

She isn't being charged for the new prescription lenses or for new anti-glare coating just for the thinning, that's reasonable.

UCSC is on the receipt, that's a Specsavers coating.

Oh I get you, sorry I was confused.
    I doubt she'd get it for free when she getting a 2 for 1 glasses offer? It wasn't mentioned in the op anyway.
    (just checked and it can't be used with any other offers so she wouldn't have gotten both)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Well she's not paying full price from scratch though she's paying only for what was missed.

She isn't being charged for the new prescription lenses or for new anti-glare coating just for the thinning, that's reasonable.

Is that the law or what you feel is right? I think that is fair.

Maybe I'm wrong, I only wear reading glasses, but once the lenses are made they can't thin them out. At least that's what I thought.

It looks to me op paid 75 but to get everything she wants is actually 150. I think the new lenses can't be thinned at this stage so she would need new lenses from scratch. I think this is where the 150 is coming from.
    That's how I'm read it and I'm happy to be connected.

• Advertisement

Oh I get you, sorry I was confused.
    I doubt she'd get it for free when she getting a 2 for 1 glasses offer? It wasn't mentioned in the op anyway.
    (just checked and it can't be used with any other offers so she wouldn't have gotten both)

I think there is a small communication error maybe I'm not being clear in which case I'm sorry :o

When you order the thinned lenses (lets say its €75 a pair, which it usually) as part of that they add the antiglare coating.

What has happened OP is the shop ordered standard lenses and got them coated (which costs 45 euros a pair)

I think there is a small communication error maybe I'm not being clear in which case I'm sorry :o

When you order the thinned lenses (lets say its €75 a pair, which it usually) as part of that they add the antiglare coating.

What has happened OP is the shop ordered standard lenses and got them coated (which costs 45 euros a pair)

Do you still get that when you are getting another offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A prescription is on average good for 2 years.
    Pay the extra 60 euro.
    Less than 50 cent a week.

Do you still get that when you are getting another offer?

It's not an offer, part of thinning they add the UCSC :)

v7P117D.jpg

Miike I think you're the only one grasping it :) it's exactly as you said.
    I've contacted their Facebook page and they will get someone in the store to call me tomorrow so I'll be aiming for them to order the lenses that I originally thought I was paying for and I will pay the difference between this cost and the 90e I paid. I just have to hope they will sort it out. Their receipts should be more detailed. It would have saved all this hassle.

Miike I think you're the only one grasping it :) it's exactly as you said.
    I've contacted their Facebook page and they will get someone in the store to call me tomorrow so I'll be aiming for them to order the lenses that I originally thought I was paying for and I will pay the difference between this cost and the 90e I paid. I just have to hope they will sort it out. Their receipts should be more detailed. It would have saved all this hassle.

They have a "No Quibble No Fuss" policy, reference that, this is quite a bit of a fuss :cool:

Miike I think you're the only one grasping it :)

Perhaps if you'd explained it as that poster did everyone else would have understood it too?
    You didn't say it was specsavers or that it was a free service, not everyone has a working knowledge of specsavers if they don't buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

As said above, Specsavers have a no quibble, no fuss policy where you can return your glasses within 90 days

https://www.specsavers.ie/news-and-information/customer-care

If the store are being awkward, contact the head office directly. They start paying attention really quickly when people do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That anti glare coating is a huge money earner for them - its like the insurance lark in furniture and electrical stores.

They will hard sell it and claim all sorts about driving - almost all rear view mirrors in cars are anti glare.

Always say no to anti glare unless its free.

As for op - maximum extra should be €105 for both pairs as you've already paid the €45 anti glare fee.

• Advertisement

Miike I think you're the only one grasping it :)

Perhaps if you'd explained it as that poster did everyone else would have understood it too?
    You didn't say it was specsavers or that it was a free service, not everyone has a working knowledge of specsavers if they don't buy from them.

I didn't realise I could name specsavers here.
    I only found out as the thread developed what the specsavers terms are and the different coatings/services they have on lenses.
    I'm sorry I hadn't communicated so that more could understand, I only had short windows to reply (I've a teething 7 month baby commanding attention) so I didn't read over what I was saying.

Advertisement