Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML software

Options
  • 18-09-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I've recently started to learn HTML and CSS on codecademy. I was wondering what the best software was to use to start putting this into practice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"Best" is entirely subjective :). There's a lot of good options these days.

But have a look at Visual Studio Code. It's very good and easy to setup – https://code.visualstudio.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

As goodshape said lot's of good options these days.

Personally I either use Webstorm -- https://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm -- but this costs money. A good free alternative is either visualstudio or Sublime Text is quite nice to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

There are plenty of free code editors available.

Atom
    Brackets
    Light Table
    Visual Studio Code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Talisman wrote: »

Atom
    Brackets
    Light Table
    Visual Studio Code

Brackets and Atom are two personal favourites! Not mad about VSC can't put my finger on why just never felt comfortable with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Brackets and Atom are two personal favourites! Not mad about VSC can't put my finger on why just never felt comfortable with it!

Spent some time inside vs code, and I'd recommend it as an ide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Talisman wrote: »

Atom
    Brackets
    Light Table
    Visual Studio Code

I remember all the Light Table hype. Is it actually any good?

Of the light weight editors, I'm a fan of Visual Studio Code and Sublime Text. Or who can forget good old Notepad++ which I'm sure a lot of us started out on.

Or you can even just start off using an online editor like https://codepen.io/pen/.

Anything that does syntax highlighting (e.g. colour codes the html and css keywords) is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'd +1 Atom.

My all time favourite now. So much so that I ditched my $80 sublime license for it and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 markpower

Thanks guys, I was looking at Visual Studio Code and think I might go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Atom would be my vote. Great open source option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Atom is OK but it can be very slow to open, I find, on certain machines.

Code is excellent. Regularly find myself with Typescript, Java, Ruby and C++ files all open at same time. Code handles them all seemlessly with full code navigation and intellisense for them . Atom doesn't handle them anywhere nearly as well and doesn't handle the C++ at all really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement