Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menswear shops

Options
  • 18-09-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

When buying a suit do they usually do the alterations in the shop and you come back and try on before buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

They may or may not facilitate alterations in the shop - they will be done off-site
    You would need to pay in full in advance

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They aren't going to alter a suit that you haven't bought, it would be useless to them if you later decided not to buy it.

You buy the suit, they alter it (possibly at an additional cost), you come back a few days later to pick it up. You can try it on again in the shop to make sure the alterations are correct.

Alternatively you can buy the suit and bring it to a tailor of your choice for alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi,

From my experience most shops will try and avoid this.
    Especially if you are buying a suit which is in season. I don't get it really but I have noticed in many shops when buying that is current line alot of the shops try to talk me into not getting my suit taken up.
    I love getting suit altered, just to fit perfect. The chances of a suit fitting 100% on me is quite slim.
    However if I was buying a suit that was on clearance and they just wanted to get rid those same shops offer it before I ask.

I never really understood this but so long as I am happy with price and what I am getting knowing I may have to factor in getting it altered I don't mind going to separate guy.

So to answer your question, no they dont have to alter it, but if you factor in alterations costs and you are happy with the price then go for it.

Skinny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some shops (M&S?) allow you to 'mix and match' the jacket and trousers instead of having to go for a particular pair which doesn't suit people if they are not the 'standard' shape.

In the main, the regular shops selling suits will get the trousers leg dropped or raised for a small additional charge but most off the rail suits don't have a lot of excess fabric that would facilitate any kind of serious alterations.

Advertisement