Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there still a limit to the amount of texts you can send per hour on an android pho

Options
  • 18-09-2017 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

As per the title. I'm secretary for our local soccer club. Used Go Sms to send texts from an android phone but had to switch to a Windows phone because l was limited to 100 texts per hour (it was a few years ago) and l kept having to download plug in's to increase the amount l could send.

I'm just wondering has it changed? The windows phone is very limiting because it will only allow me create a group of 25 members. I'm thinking of moving back to android again so l'm hoping someone here has the answer.

Thanks in advance.
    Kilsmum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

kilsmum wrote: »
    As per the title. I'm secretary for our local soccer club. Used Go Sms to send texts from an android phone but had to switch to a Windows phone because l was limited to 100 texts per hour (it was a few years ago) and l kept having to download plug in's to increase the amount l could send.

I'm just wondering has it changed? The windows phone is very limiting because it will only allow me create a group of 25 members. I'm thinking of moving back to android again so l'm hoping someone here has the answer.

Thanks in advance.
    Kilsmum

would an online service not be better for this sort of thing rather than trying to do it from your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VikingG

Use Whatsapp group..

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I have been doing this type of texting on Android for a while without a problem.
    I use Textra app and there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of group members (I have groups of up to 40 members). It also allows you to send to multiple groups or parts of a group.
    I have all my contacts saved as google contacts (I don't know if that makes any difference).
    There is a setting for Group SMS to set it as "Bulk" that is the setting I use (not "Chat").

Whatsapp, Teamer and other specialized apps are fine but are useless when you are contacting some parents who may not have a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VikingG wrote: »
    Use Whatsapp group..

Whatsapp is bidirectional. SMS is unidirectional (mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks for your replies.

We use the texts to ask for help etc so Teamer wouldn't work because it's confined to 160 characters.

Kagni I'll try the Textra and see how I get on.

I don't think the WhatsApp group would be a runner when one group has nearly 100 contacts. Not every parent uses WhatsApp. Plus I think my brain would be fried with all the responses in one long message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

kagni wrote: »
    I have been doing this type of texting on Android for a while without a problem.
    I use Textra app and there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of group members (I have groups of up to 40 members). It also allows you to send to multiple groups or parts of a group.
    I have all my contacts saved as google contacts (I don't know if that makes any difference).
    There is a setting for Group SMS to set it as "Bulk" that is the setting I use (not "Chat").

Whatsapp, Teamer and other specialized apps are fine but are useless when you are contacting some parents who may not have a smartphone.

I use Textra too but I still get the "Textra is sending a large amount of SMS messages" and have to tap "Allow" numerous times to ensure the texts send.

Do you know if there's a way around this?

I use Textra too but I still get the "Textra is sending a large amount of SMS messages" and have to tap "Allow" numerous times to ensure the texts send.

Do you know if there's a way around this?

Maybe I have just been lucky and haven't run in to the 100 SMS per hour issue kilsmum mentioned, there are a few groups of around 50 or so that I message.
    So I would be surprised if I haven't sent more than 100 in an hour before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I use https://www.mysms.com/

You install the app on your phone and then log in to the web app on your PC. I've never sent to more then 30-40 at a time though and it still sends them one by one more or less via your phone. Not sure how long it would take to send >100.

The good thing though is, you have a full size keyboard, and you get replies etc on your PC too.

WhatsApp also have a web interface too btw. Very handy when in work/office. https://web.whatsapp.com/

Found this as a way of increasing the limit on number of messages that can be sent.
    I haven't had the problem so haven't tried it.

Install ADB on your computer -
    https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/

Follow instructions here to change limit on your phone -
    https://www.xda-developers.com/change-sms-limit-android/

Looks like the limit may be different for different manufacturers depending on what ROM is installed on the phone.

Advertisement