Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF165 fuel filter

Options
  • 17-09-2017 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to look at a MF 165 shortly, it's being parked up in a shed for about 3 years now.
    The diesel tank is full so I guess this would of stopped it rusting but should I change fuel filters before I start it ( if I buy it ) or run it for 20 minutes first and then change?

I would warm it well up before changing the engine oil anyway?

What ye think? ?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

Scan it for codes to see is it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

Hi, I'm going to look at a MF 165 shortly, it's being parked up in a shed for about 3 years now.
    The diesel tank is full so I guess this would of stopped it rusting but should I change fuel filters before I start it ( if I buy it ) or run it for 20 minutes first and then change?

I would warm it well up before changing the engine oil anyway?

What ye think? ?

Thanks

It's easy change the fuel and filters in those. That would be the safest route.

Having said that they are a tough tractor and as long is it's not seized it will probably start right up with no issue. Make sure it has oil pressure on startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

selfdiy wrote: »
    It's easy change the fuel and filters in those. That would be the safest route.

Having said that they are a tough tractor and as long is it's not seized it will probably start right up with no issue. Make sure it has oil pressure on startup.

When you say make sure it has oil pressure on start up , if the gauge does not rise→then turn off right away?

Would I be right to assume that this would mean engine work anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Instead of starting it straight away, id leave the stopper pulled for the first turnover it wont start but will get the oil up around the engine.. fairly straight forward tractor... round axle or square?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Instead of starting it straight away, id leave the stopper pulled for the first turnover it wont start but will get the oil up around the engine.. fairly straight forward tractor... round axle or square?

1970 round axle
    Bit of rust round the front of her not overly bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

When you say make sure it has oil pressure on start up , if the gauge does not rise→then turn off right away?

Would I be right to assume that this would mean engine work anyway?

Yes thats the right approach turnover with the stopper pulled out and see if the gauge rises.

Bring new battery and jump leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

1970 round axle
    Bit of rust round the front of her not overly bad

You'll prob be looking at brakes so if it a round axle... there a pain by all accounts to keep on top of

Advertisement