Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Vodafone smart ultra 6 is kaput...what next??

Options
  • 17-09-2017 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

As in the title of the thread, I have my smart ultra 6 getting on for two years now and the battery is kaput as of this weekend. I don't think it's worth fixing and am therefore looking for another similarly high spec value for money phone.

Could any of you knowledgeable people please enlighten me as to what is the latest shrewd purchase in phone devices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I bought the newer version of your phone. Vodafone Smart V8, released this summer.

Get a sim from another network and vodafone will give you 50e off the phone when you port your number over when buying it. Cost me 200e plus 20 on credit. Phones normal price is 250e here in Ireland.

Can't complain about the phone. Very happy with it. There's a couple of videos up on YouTube reviewing it if you want to have a look.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It is possible to replace the battery in the SU6, you should be able to pick a replacement part for under 10quid. And it appears to be quite easy to pop in too. Maybe worth considering, although tbh 2 years is good going for that phone! Mine is over 2 now, hoping to get another year out of it! :D:D

It is possible to replace the battery in the SU6, you should be able to pick a replacement part for under 10quid. And it appears to be quite easy to pop in too. Maybe worth considering, although tbh 2 years is good going for that phone! Mine is over 2 now, hoping to get another year out of it! :D:D

That's good going! I have one that I use as a spare when between phones, and it drives me mad with how slow it is. Still does the trick, though.

@OP there's a good few threads in the android section which would have some ideas for you, depending on your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I was quoted 50 euro by the phone repair shop to replace the battery. I felt it was not worth it, but that is interesting about the DIY prospect. I may look into that.

I'm not in to upgrading my phone frequently and typically keep them for longer than I keep my car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I didn't mean to derail your thread OP, so apologies! The Smart Ultra V8 does look to be a decent option, but lack of USB C is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Take a look at my own thread I started a while back when I was thinking of changing, my criteria was a sub 300 device. But there was plenty of options below that given too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057743943
    Basil3 wrote: »
    That's good going! I have one that I use as a spare when between phones, and it drives me mad with how slow it is. Still does the trick, though.

@OP there's a good few threads in the android section which would have some ideas for you, depending on your budget.

I haven't had any performance issues with mine actually. I find it snappy, and the battery is still lasting me easily a day (I can get 6 hours of screen on time out of mine). Although I mostly use it just for browsing the web, and reddit. Definitely one of the better phones I've had tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I have the V8, it's a grand phone but.... my partner recently bought Nokia 6 would probably be my choice of the two. I'm jealous of the fast updates, the V8 is stuck on June security patch and the Nokia 6 is on September's for two weeks now. If you don't care about updates then the V8 is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I didn't mean to derail your thread OP, so apologies! The Smart Ultra V8 does look to be a decent option, but lack of USB C is a bit of a deal breaker for me

No worries at all !

The guy in the job was able to fix the phone today anyway. The battery seems to be good for another little while longer, so the 'Smart Ultra 6' fights another day.

Advertisement