Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help tp track down somebody...long shot

Options
  • 17-09-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

While looking through my great grandfathers military service medals from WWI, one of the medals was duplicated.

Its an Allied Victory Medal (Wilfred). The engraving on the edge looks like...
    25842 PTE C DOWD SOM L.I

I did a quick search online using the service number and found a Charles Bond from Somerset Light Infantry

https://search.findmypast.ie/results/world-records/british-army-service-records?servicenumber=25842

This could possibly be the man I'm looking for as the 'W' in DOWD was somewhat looking like a 'N' and the 'D' could easily be a 'B'

The medals were mixed in with the military service medals of my great grandfather who served in the Royal Field Artillery from 1907-1919. During these 12yrs of service he was posted abroad in India & France so I wonder is it possible to find out if the 2 crossed paths at some point and what happened of Charles Bond and how did my great grandfather get his medal.

It would be great to finally track down his descendants and return the medal to them aswell....

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

I've traced Charles/Charlie Bond through the 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911 censuses, as well as the 1939 register. He married, lived and died around Taunton in Somerset. There are trees on Ancestry listing him, Public and Private. Do you have a subscription to Ancestry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

riverina wrote: »
    I've traced Charles/Charlie Bond through the 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911 censuses, as well as the 1939 register. He married, lived and died around Taunton in Somerset. There are trees on Ancestry listing him, Public and Private. Do you have a subscription to Ancestry?

Thanks a lot for getting back so quick and getting the information

I haven't got a subscription to Ancestry so no way for me to look at these trees and to go further with it

Is there anything you could PM me to get me started?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

riverina wrote: »
    PM sent

thanks, reply sent

Advertisement