Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H.Dip in software development

Options
  • 17-09-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have been offered a place in both DCU and DBS for the Higher Diploma in Software Development via Springboard. I've been working in tech for 7 years in different roles (currently online safety) and would like to upskill. I'd like to maybe do web design for an agency, or app development.

The DBS course outline is here and DCU is here.

I would normally go for DCU as it's a university and may be better regarded, but the course is delivered mostly online. While this is handy in theory - I also work remotely, and have been looking forward to the social aspect of returning to college, so DBS wins by a mile there.

Do employers really care that much about where your degree is from?

Also does anyone know of a H.Dip grad with a non-CS primary degree who has successfully gotten a job as a programmer or developer? Is it going to be extremely difficult competing against people who did a 4 year CS degree, even if I have a good portfolio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi all,

Have been offered a place in both DCU and DBS for the Higher Diploma in Software Development via Springboard. I've been working in tech for 7 years in different roles (currently online safety) and would like to upskill. I'd like to maybe do web design for an agency, or app development.

The DBS course outline is here and DCU is here.

I would normally go for DCU as it's a university and may be better regarded, but the course is delivered mostly online. While this is handy in theory - I also work remotely, and have been looking forward to the social aspect of returning to college, so DBS wins by a mile there.

Do employers really care that much about where your degree is from?

Also does anyone know of a H.Dip grad with a non-CS primary degree who has successfully gotten a job as a programmer or developer? Is it going to be extremely difficult competing against people who did a 4 year CS degree, even if I have a good portfolio?

Your main problem will be getting past recruiters who will see it and not even consider you because their requirements are a degree.

But in saying that if you do have a good portfolio of development projects available on places like github then your chances improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Your main problem will be getting past recruiters who will see it and not even consider you because their requirements are a degree.

Agreed. Recruiters, especially in Ireland, like to tick boxes. And most roles advertised require at least an Honours degree.

Applying direct to companies though you may fare better, especially with a very solid portfolio.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Springboard computing hdips are good for finding work. At least two developers are from that background where I work, a junior and an intermediate. The latter is my first choice for bringing on to my project (which I've voiced).

I used to teach programming modules on several of them in two colleges (neither universities). A while ago I looked up the best students I had to see if any of them were looking (referral bonus). All of them already had suitable jobs.

My experience has been that Springboard hdip students are easily the best groups of students I've taught (I have taught all levels of third level in university and non-uni resits colleges).

Definitely agree with the previous comments that getting projects online will help you get your foot in the door.

I don't know either of the courses you referenced. Dcu is the better bet and will look way better on your cv. Hdips are pretty intense with high workloads and lots of projects, so you might not find it as sociable an experience as you hope anyway.

If you want to do design, then maybe a design oriented course would be better. I know there's at least one design oriented springboard hdip still going.

Advertisement