Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Cost - Hip to Gable attic conversion

Options
  • 17-09-2017 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Looking to get a hip to gable attic conversation on my house with additional two peaked dormer style windows on rear facing side of the house in DCC area.

As I wish to have this viewed as a habitable conversation, the centre ceiling height is just over 7 foot including when the raised beams for the new attic conversion would be added.

Was wondering roughly what would be the average cost of Architect fees?

What is included for the price?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Anyone any idea?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this a semi d

Hi Bryan,

Yes semi detached :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

An Cigire wrote: »
    As I wish to have this viewed as a habitable conversation, the centre ceiling height is just over 7 foot....

With 7' ceiling height it technically will not be habitable....but I think I know what you mean....usable?

You have not outlined what want an architect to do? Measured survey, design, planning application submission, tender/construction drawings, inspection during construction, etc. Some or all of the above?

Why not contact a few to get an idea of fees?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    With 7' ceiling height it technically will not be habitable....but I think I know what you mean....usable?

You have not outlined what want an architect to do? Measured survey, design, planning application submission, tender/construction drawings, inspection during construction, etc. Some or all of the above?

Why not contact a few to get an idea of fees?

Sorry it's my first time needing an architect so abit of a novice, I just wanted a idea before before I went looking for ones of prices etc..

I had mainly being looking to get the room converted to be considered an extra bedroom with a ensuite with the addition of two dormer windows to rear etc..

I was unsure whether it was mandta or guidelines only for 8 foot ceilings to be considered after PP as fourth bedroom if that makes sense.

My intention for architect was to draw up the plans needed for applying for PP and I go find a builder then and I presume a structural engineer to check compliance of the works?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If it's a semi d - planners won't accept. Do you not think it would look strange - neighbours hip etc

BryanF wrote: »
    If it's a semi d - planners won't accept. Do you not think it would look strange - neighbours hip etc

No neighbours of mine of on my road have it done with gable roof conversion from the old existing hip roof with others also having large dormer peaked extension for a widows/stairs on the hip side so didn't think it would look out of place due to the neighbours previous works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No neighbours of mine of on my road have it done with gable roof conversion from the old existing hip roof with others also having large dormer peaked extension for a widows/stairs on the hip side so didn't think it would look out of place due to the neighbours previous works.

It won't be considered a bedroom at 2.1m in the centre in my opinion.
    I've recently done a hip to full gable in DCC (D11 area) but this was an end of terrace rather than a semi d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Hi....I was looking for an Architect to do drawings for a bathroom extension and small kitchen conversion...this was for an elderly disabled neighbour. I was quoted €950.00 by one, and I had no idea if that was expensive or not....had enquired on this board and was advised that it was very cheap. I had tried to get other quotes from tradesmen.ie but nobody came back to me on time so I went ahead with the quote I got. Yesterday, another Architect got back to me with a quote....wait for it.....€4,500.00!! Get as many quotes as you can....

I had read online prices suggesting €1500 up on average for attic conversion depending on the amount involved ensuite, dormer windows etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi....I was looking for an Architect to do drawings for a bathroom extension and small kitchen conversion...this was for an elderly disabled neighbour. I was quoted €950.00 by one, and I had no idea if that was expensive or not....had enquired on this board and was advised that it was very cheap. I had tried to get other quotes from tradesmen.ie but nobody came back to me on time so I went ahead with the quote I got. Yesterday, another Architect got back to me with a quote....wait for it.....€4,500.00!! Get as many quotes as you can....

Elderly disabled neighbour was probably a cash nixer. No where a registered architect or sole trader can compete with that.

I had read online prices suggesting €1500 up on average for attic conversion depending on the amount involved ensuite, dormer windows etc..

Sounds similar to what a few technicians I know charge alright. Again, nixers so you can't compare that with the services of a registered architect or similar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd be worried that one architect has priced for one thing, and the other architect has priced for something different?

All jobs involve 'drawings'....but....all jobs involve lots of different types of drawings. Survey drawings, design drawings, planning drawings, tender drawings, construction drawings, services drawings....etc.

If the bathroom extension is to be grant aided, you probably need all the above drawings! In addition, inspection required on site and sign off at the end (opinions on compliance with planning/exemption and building regulations).

I just can't imagine the E950 quote will cover everything required?

Advertisement