Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Radio

Options
  • 17-09-2017 1:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭

Working down in the mighty kingdom at the moment and at work this is the station that is on.
    Good morning shows with full breakfast and Kerry today, 11-1 grand also but by god does it go down hill after that.
    Talkabout what is this show about, and the afternoon show. It's like you flick a switch. Quality down hill.
    All in all good morning station but why have they hopeless afternoon presenters?
    Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

I turn the radio off or change the minute i hear talkabout , its total crap , used to laugh at it because she honestly thinks she good but its more like an old woman's gossip show dealing with not so very important or even interesting subjects !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Usually listen to it from 9am until noon or so when the local show from Raidio na Gaeltachta begins. Afternoon is work for me so I dont get to hear it too much, but on the odd day I have it on I usually switch to anything else by 2pm. :( It can be dire. Artificially generated outrage/interest/importance.
    The sports programmes at the weekend are good - so is Terrace Talk on Mondays at 6 -- but thats only if you're into your sport. Weekdays News at 5.30 until 6pm is always on too -- but usually for the death notices and tide times ...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

My problem with Talkabout is it went from being an hour (1.30 to 2.30) to an hour and a half (1.30 to 3) so it's like they are constantly stretching content to fill the time. An hour was ok but anything longer isn't great especially as there's been 2 hours of current affairs already in the day. There's a limit to how many texts/emails etc you can read out in response to some 'shock' story/survey/article in the Daily Mail without it sounding very repetitive.

I think they need a few younger female voices, very male dominated music shows and apart from 'topic' shows done by newsreaders like business show, agritime and Caint Ciarrai, there aren't too many female voices other than in the news bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why do so many people in Kerry call it Kerry Radio (including my older relatives) when it's actually called Radio Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why do so many people in Kerry call it Kerry Radio (including my older relatives) when it's actually called Radio Kerry?

Good question. Does it come from similar things like "Kerry Airport", "Kerry County Council", "Kerry General" (hospital), the "Kerry team", "Kerry Coaches" etc and people just follow the same format?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Think it's more to do with the old pirate station, Kerry Local Radio... called Kerry Radio by many...the name just stuck with the new enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Kerry Today from 9-11 (or 9-10 in reality) is generally the only programme worth listening to for local current affairs. The rest of the day is a waste bar the death notices which you can get online in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

kn wrote: »
    Kerry Today from 9-11 (or 9-10 in reality) is generally the only programme worth listening to for local current affairs. The rest of the day is a waste bar the death notices which you can get online in any case.
    I think the people who tune in for the death notices are generally not internet savvy  (eg my grandmother who listened out for them religiously!! :)).   Someone mentioned John Drummey in the Tralee thread - remember the 90s when he used to read out "Dear John" letters every night during the Love Hour?  Some hilarious tales of heartbreak ....of course most of them fabricated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think the people who tune in for the death notices are generally not internet savvy  (eg my grandmother who listened out for them religiously!! :)).   Someone mentioned John Drummey in the Tralee thread - remember the 90s when he used to read out "Dear John" letters every night during the Love Hour?  Some hilarious tales of heartbreak ....of course most of them fabricated!

Blast from the past!! I used to listen in all the time! I think I may have even written in at one point!! Hahaha the shame! 😂🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daveoc27

Breakfast show is great though,

Best thing on the radio.

• Advertisement

Remember a friend's letter was read out. It was the talk of the school for days. We could never figure how just who she had the crush on.

daveoc27 wrote: »
    Breakfast show is great though,

Best thing on the radio.

Wouldn't agree with you there, Andrew is fine, Elaine is a bit too much at times, too much yummy mummy comments, that gets boring after a while. Also if someone texts in to disagree or correct her on something, even if it's only trivia from a soap opera, she tends to deal with it in quite a dismissive tone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

+1 Elaine needs to dial it in, Deidre needs to stop talking about hard and soft stools too. Fair enough it's mediacal matters but last thing I want when having my lunch is listening to someone who is pushing their ring out because of hard stools.

I see they've changed the Sunday morning from All Irish Music Show to 'Timeless and Irish', which means there is non-Irish artists and it now kinda sounds like any generic oldies show which is a pity. I wonder why they changed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Radio5 wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with you there, Andrew is fine, Elaine is a bit too much at times, too much yummy mummy comments, that gets boring after a while. Also if someone texts in to disagree or correct her on something, even if it's only trivia from a soap opera, she tends to deal with it in quite a dismissive tone.

Is the talking through her nose her attempts at being posh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 April2023

RK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thread is now over 5 years old. Please don't resurrect old threads. Closing. MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement