Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horstmann E7 Quartz vs Netatmo - Connected technology

• 16-09-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys,

Just moved into a new apartment but I noticed that the Horstmann Quartz E7 immersion heater does not work at all, there is no light or nothing and the electricity is ok.

So I was wondering with the new technology, would Netatmo work with the type of heater I have in my apartment in order to replace the Hortsmann?

Any connected technology you would know that would connect heater and electric radiators? I spent a couple of hours on internet to see if there was any available technology but it looks like that it is very limited.

Any experience?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Did you check this with a multi meter?

Do you have night saver electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Celtarion

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Did you check this with a multi meter?

Do you have night saver electricity?

Nope, it hasn't been checked with a multi meter. I just moved so I cannot confirm that I have night saver electricity.

I'm thinking to move with Energia and they have an offer with Netatmo.

Celtarion wrote:
    Nope, it hasn't been checked with a multi meter. I just moved so I cannot confirm that I have night saver electricity.

So you don't know if you have electricity at the timer. Timer might still be OK.

Usually with that type of timer you have night rate electricity. To avail of the cheaper electricity you would heat a full tank of water at night. You would rarely use it during the day. If this is the case then a smart timer wouldn't be of much benefit. This timer is only for the immersion, hot water. It doesn't control any heating you might have

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Celtarion wrote:

So you don't know if you have electricity at the timer. Timer might still be OK.

Usually with that type of timer you have night rate electricity. To avail of the cheaper electricity you would heat a full tank of water at night. You would rarely use it during the day. If this is the case then a smart timer wouldn't be of much benefit. This timer is only for the immersion, hot water. It doesn't control any heating you might have
    Well from what I see, it has never worked either day time or at night since I moved (3 days ago). In that case what would be the reason why it does not work as with the previous tenants, it was working.
    I thought that a smart timer would be a good option in addition of the control of the electric heating rather than having independent heating and immersion heater. A kind of all in one connected stuff.

Celtarion wrote:
    Well from what I see, it has never worked either day time or at night since I moved (3 days ago). In that case what would be the reason why it does not work as with the previous tenants, it was working. I thought that a smart timer would be a good option in addition of the control of the electric heating rather than having independent heating and immersion heater. A kind of all in one connected stuff.

It looks old and probably is broken but it could also be a faulty trip switch. Even though the switch is up it could be faulty. The only way to find out is to test with a multi meter.

I'm not an expert on this but it seems like a lot of hassle to me.
    You have the timer in the photo for the immersion. You most likely have timers elsewhere for the heating, probably at the fusebox. I'm thinking if you were able to use a smart timer for the immersion it's still not connected to the heating. So you'd need another smart device on the heating unless you got an electrician to wire them all to the one device, if such a thing exists.

Like I say I don't know a lot about these smart devices and not trying to knock your idea. I'm sure a knowledgeable electrician will be along shortly & can be more useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Is the fuse box switch for the immersion on?

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Is the fuse box switch for the immersion  on?
    Yeah, I had a look at it and it's on. But it could be the fuse itself that is not working, I'll check that out tomorrow.

I changed the fuse, but electricity needs to be checked. Will see if I can find someone around me with a multi meter ha.

Advertisement