Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I study?

Options
  • 16-09-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have just started 6th year and I'm wondering how much should I be studying each night? How do people make study plans and stick to them? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Smircle

Honestly, it depends on the person. I did the LC earlier this year and I can tell you that the information I 'learned' in fifth year did not stick with me until sixth year. Most of my studying was done in the weeks leading up to the LC, especially the last two weeks as we got off early. How have you been studying so far? Mindmaps/bulletpoints/flash cards? Have these methods been working for you so far?

As for time - I'd recommend no more than 4 hours a night. Last year, I decided to throw myself into the work, but I burned out pretty quickly. Give yourself breaks in between subjects and vary your schedule; I used to do a subject I liked first, then one I didn't, etc., leaving my favourite to last. Give yourself 45/50 minutes per subject, a five minute break between each during which you really do just take a break: shut your eyes for five minutes, read a book, draw a picture - whatever it is, just don't think about whatever it is you still have left to do.

Study plans never worked for me, so I'm not of much help there, I'm afraid. Some people do all the subjects in one night, others just do one or two - it's up to you and your other commitments. I used to write down all the subjects and study them in the order in which they were picked out of a box, but some prefer a timetable. It really does depend on what type of learner you are/how long you can stay focused for/how many subjects you're doing.

What I wouldnt recommend is overdoing it, or underdoing it. I managed to do both last year: too much in fifth year and not nearly enough in sixth; but as long as you are consistent and actually focus during however long you decide to study for, it should all work out in the end.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best with the year ahead; it's pretty stressful, but once it's over, you have 2 months to refuel and do nothing - it was actually the most relaxing summer I have ever had :P

Good luck! :)

Advertisement