Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Newbie Stupid Questions

Options
  • 16-09-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi

New to android, the last android phone I had was 2.2 so this is all new. Just some questions I had, have a Nokia 6.

My photos are saved on my sd card but are also available in Google photos, does that mean there is another copy of the photo saved on my phone?

I'm connected to WiFi probably 80% of the time and thats fine, but when I'm on mobile date is there a way of stopping some apps from using it, I would presume to more use it the quicker the battery dies. I dont mind Viber and FB messenger and the like using it but I dont need to know every time I get a tweet or a FB comment, dont need my contacts linked to maps etc.

Thanks

Comments

Sevenie wrote: »
    Hi

New to android, the last android phone I had was 2.2 so this is all new. Just some questions I had, have a Nokia 6.

My photos are saved on my sd card but are also available in Google photos, does that mean there is another copy of the photo saved on my phone?

I'm connected to WiFi probably 80% of the time and thats fine, but when I'm on mobile date is there a way of stopping some apps from using it, I would presume to more use it the quicker the battery dies. I dont mind Viber and FB messenger and the like using it but I dont need to know every time I get a tweet or a FB comment, dont need my contacts linked to maps etc.

Thanks

Yes, there are two copies of the photo. One on your device/SD Card, and one on the cloud. Google photos has a function 'Free Up Space', which will delete your local copy for photos that are backed up to the cloud.

For the data, you can go to settings > data usage > scroll down to app usage, then select an app you want to restrict > toggle restrict background data. There is a global toggle for this in the settings at the top of data usage. That will kill pretty much everything in the background, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Great thanks. Found the setting and sorted things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RitaMcPherson

Finally, I discovered something useful for my paper to write about.

Advertisement