Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Dilemma!

Options
  • 15-09-2017 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi!

I'm having a bit of a problem with my leaving cert subjects at the moment and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Basically I'm in 5th Year and my subjects are: English, Irish, Maths, Spanish , Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths.

I originally took up Applied Maths as an extra subject and intended to drop it if the workload of eight subjects became too much. However now I've realised that I actually enjoy Applied Maths more than Physics. I find Physics significantly easier but I just don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I find parts of the theory to be really dull and the experiments aren't that interesting either. On the other hand, I find Applied Maths quite difficult but I think with practice I will improve. I didn't do much study for Junior Cert maths and got a B. Would it be possible to bring up my grades to H1/H2 in maths and Applied Maths with hard work?

The reason why I want to drop a subject is because in my school the students who take 7 subjects get 5 free study periods a week. These would be extremely beneficial to me as I live over an hour away from my school so I spend a lot of time commuting. If I had these free periods I'd be able to get some homework and study done at school. At the moment with eight subjects I come home from school exhausted and have barely any time to relax in the evenings because I have so much homework.

The other option would be to keep on 8 but drop to ordinary level Irish as it is my least favourite subject. The problem is that I would have to switch classes. My current Irish teacher is really good and the ordinary level teacher is awful. Also I wouldn't be getting any of the free periods that I mentioned above.

Also I'm thinking of applying for a high points course (over 550) so the points really do matter. Realistically right now I feel like I would achieve a higher grade in Physics than Applied Maths.

So what should I do? Do Physics which I'm good at but don't enjoy too much or Applied Maths which I find difficult but really enjoy? Or drop levels in Irish?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I would drop to 7 subjects given your commute and arriving home exahusted. That is not sustainable for 2 years.
    Drop biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

rk2301 wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm having a bit of a problem with my leaving cert subjects at the moment and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Basically I'm in 5th Year and my subjects are: English, Irish, Maths, Spanish , Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths.

I originally took up Applied Maths as an extra subject and intended to drop it if the workload of eight subjects became too much. However now I've realised that I actually enjoy Applied Maths more than Physics. I find Physics significantly easier but I just don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I find parts of the theory to be really dull and the experiments aren't that interesting either. On the other hand, I find Applied Maths quite difficult but I think with practice I will improve. I didn't do much study for Junior Cert maths and got a B. Would it be possible to bring up my grades to H1/H2 in maths and Applied Maths with hard work?

The reason why I want to drop a subject is because in my school the students who take 7 subjects get 5 free study periods a week. These would be extremely beneficial to me as I live over an hour away from my school so I spend a lot of time commuting. If I had these free periods I'd be able to get some homework and study done at school. At the moment with eight subjects I come home from school exhausted and have barely any time to relax in the evenings because I have so much homework.

The other option would be to keep on 8 but drop to ordinary level Irish as it is my least favourite subject. The problem is that I would have to switch classes. My current Irish teacher is really good and the ordinary level teacher is awful. Also I wouldn't be getting any of the free periods that I mentioned above.

Also I'm thinking of applying for a high points course (over 550) so the points really do matter. Realistically right now I feel like I would achieve a higher grade in Physics than Applied Maths.

So what should I do? Do Physics which I'm good at but don't enjoy too much or Applied Maths which I find difficult but really enjoy? Or drop levels in Irish?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Hello
    Have you made a desion yet?
    1st of all i would reccomend to NOT drop to lower Irish especially considering you have a great teacher! Also as you know there is a huge point difference between H1 and O1 etc. If you are aiming for around about 550 points..droping would make this VERY difficult to achive.
    What did you get in JC Irish? If it was a C up..definatly do not drop. If it was a D then you may find it a bit hard but because you have a great teacher she/he should make it a lot easier. I am lucky to also have a great HL Irish teacher.

Now i do neither Physics or Applied maths but i would definatley drop one of them. Also my underdtanding is that they are a lot of overlaps in these two subjects??
    If i was aiming for high points(which i am!!!) i would personnaly go with the subject that i would get more points in. From what you said it sounds as if this is physics? (Although i would have always tbought it was the other way round)
    But as i said i dont do either so cant advise you on this part.

The best advice i can give is to talk to the schools Career Guidance councilor on which of physics or applied maths to drop! I would reccomend to drop one as it would give you free periods ( i do 7 subjects and i get 2 free periods a week which REALLY help me..so 7 would be of a great help to you)

Thats my rant over!!! Hope it helps! I would be intersted in knowing what you have decided also!

Advertisement