Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aegean Air

Options
  • 15-09-2017 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Flying from Birmingham next week to Athens and then onto Kos from Athens. Anyone any experience with Aegean and anything weird or wonderful about Birmingham airport. Flying from Dublin with EI over to Birmingham I'm assuming that's on an A320. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aegean are decent airline, you will get a real meal, just like in the old days, ask nicely and a vino is not a problem. Award winning as best regional european airline several times in recent years

If your flight number has 3 digits with Aer Lingus its A320/1 if its 4 digits its an ATR-72

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Flying from Dublin with EI over to Birmingham I'm assuming that's on an A320. Thanks
    Have flown into BHX on a good number of occasion in the recent past and 80% of my EI flights have been on the ATR's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Have flown into BHX on a good number of occasion in the recent past and 80% of my EI flights have been on the ATR's.

The flights that are 320 and are ATR are set pretty permanently and can be identified reliably by the flight number as above.

This time of year it is 3 320s and 1 ATR except on Saturdays when its the reverse, there may be an odd day when its 2/2 but its all still sched in advance. I don't think it ever goes above 40% ATR. So you're presumably travelling on specific times or *very* specific days of the week :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Flying from Dublin with EI over to Birmingham I'm assuming that's on an A320. Thanks
    I fine the ATR flights equally as comfortable and pleasant as the 320 flights I take. I really don't notice a big difference other than the much faster boarding and disembarkation with the ATR

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locker10a wrote: »
    I fine the ATR flights equally as comfortable and pleasant as the 320 flights I take. I really don't notice a big difference other than the much faster boarding and disembarkation with the ATR

And no middle seats on the ATRs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The plane from Athens to Kos I presume will be something pretty small like an ATR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The plane from Athens to Kos I presume will be something pretty small like an ATR?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_Airlines#Current_fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

EchoIndia wrote: »

Athens - Kos is operated by Olympic Air (tickets sold by Aegean).. This route is operated by DHC-8 400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It depends on the flight. Aegean seem to operate an evening flight themselves.
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AEE228/history/20170917/1835Z/LGAV/LGKO

martinsvi wrote: »
    Athens - Kos is operated by Olympic Air (tickets sold by Aegean).. This route is operated by DHC-8 400

What kind of plane and flight will that be? Much different to ATR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

What kind of plane and flight will that be? Much different to ATR?
    Near enough identical, its the direct competitor to the ATR so similar cabin layout and appearance on the outside but it flies slightly faster and might seem a little louder in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Locker10a wrote: »

Have always enjoyed the "turboprop experience" including EI's Saab 340 and the yes believe it or not, the good old Shorts 360. To my mind the ATR has always been a grand aeroplane for short hops.

Something that amaze me about people's perceptions of EI usually follow the following train of though, "jets good, propeller yolks not good"! Whereas to my mind the majority of EI's Airbus 320 fleet are at least 10 year's plus and some considerably more with all starting to show their age! Whereas the Regional fleet is considerably newer and fresher looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It depends on the flight. Aegean seem to operate an evening flight themselves.
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AEE228/history/20170917/1835Z/LGAV/LGKO

must be a demand thing, further down in the calendar it should be Dash 400 as the season starts to wind down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Have always enjoyed the "turboprop experience" including EI's Saab 340 and the yes believe it or not, the good old Shorts 360. To my mind the ATR has always been a grand aeroplane for short hops.

Something that amaze me about people's perceptions of EI "jets good, propeller yolks not good"! Whereas to my mind the majority of EI's Airbus 320 fleet are at least 10 year's plus and some considerably more with all starting to show their age! Whereas the Regional fleet is considerably newer and fresher looking.

ATRs seem to have better leg room as well. In my experience anyways!

must be a demand thing, further down in the calendar it should be Dash 400 as the season starts to wind down

Just checked the ticket there the plane is a DHC-8 400 series. My EI flight is EI0276

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Just a quick follow up on this. Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies. Flew absolutely no problem with Aegean on time and excellent on board experience even threw in a complimentary meal to Athens and a croissant and hot drink to Kos.

Birmingham and Athens airports were absolutely fine to transit through good selection of shops and restaurants and free WiFi. Kos airport coming home was quite an experience though. Anyone who has travelled to the islands is no doubt aware of the rather haphazard shall we say Greek way but this was a whole different ballgame. Long waits to check in totally inadequate facilities even seating wise dirty toilets tiny shop and restaurant with even more exorbitant pricing than normal. Nigtmare for elderly or families in sure but for my wife and I more an experience than anything. Just to add the 30 Minute delay for baggage in Dublin at 12.30am was actually more inconvenient than the Kos experience.

Thanks again for all the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement