Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fri clean out

Options
  • 15-09-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭

We're having a round of dumping at work today :)

427942.jpg

This junk should have gone a long time ago!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

But you never know when you might need a 20Gb PATA drive in dubious condition ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

We wanted a drill at work for these :D. Still think it's a useful idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

I find a hammer is more therapeutic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

opus wrote: »
    I find a hammer is more therapeutic :)

But the platters are so shiny. And with an electronic speed control the brushless motors can be entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7vInsUpSaY
    (yet another tech magpie)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A hard drive shredder. It's like office shredder but so therapeutic. Unfortunately we can't afford one nor do we have room :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mr. G wrote: »
    A hard drive shredder. It's like office shredder but so therapeutic. Unfortunately we can't afford one nor do we have room :D

Years ago in a previous job my boss finally agreed that we should dispose of the several boxes of hard drives that had accumulated from years of us having to whip drives from machines that were being chucked because either they could have sensitive data on them (medical research etc, since this was at a uni) or someone who'd used the machine might, 6-18 months later, decide that they needed the data back and it would be our fault if they had taken no backups...

As a result, he found funds to pay for a travelling data destruction service to come on-sight and, under supervision, drill through each of the drives and them drop them through a drive shredder.

I have rarely witnessed someone derive as much pleasure from their work as that chap ðŸ˜

Advertisement