Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheels decisions

Options
  • 15-09-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed the bearings are beginning to go so in the look for new wheels for commuting.

Have it down to
    Mavic aksium
    Fulcrum 7lg
    Shimano Rs11 or 501

The mavic and Fulcrums are casette bearings do not serviceable and its seems to be dearer to replace the wheel than the bearings

The shimano are serviceable which is handier.

My winter wheel with a hib Dynamo is a mavic so that is swaying me too

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Weepsie wrote: »

If you lean toward Fulcrum it's worth seeking out the CX version of their wheels. Exact same wheels just has additional seals. Usually no real difference in price enough.
    Cant go wrong with shimano cup and cone wheels. Good lathering of grease every few months will and they'll truck through the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The good thing with the open pros and cxps is that they are not just factory wheels. So you can salvage the hubs, spokes etc and get them rebuilt later on, keep as spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

The Tiagra rs400 hubs are 11 speed compatible.

These wheels from Rose are great value, quite a lot of people in the area use them as winter wheels. Not the lightest but 36 spokes and everything replaceable.

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-road-wheel-set-28700c-xtreme-airline-4--shimano-hb-fh-rs400/aid:202991

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Cxp and op are slightly more than I was looking to spend , but I did find a20 euro rose voucher.

I hadn't realised that the aksiums are 20 spoke , I'm 100kg so can rule them out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ted1 wrote: »
    The Cxp and op are slightly more than I was looking to spend , but I did find a20 euro rose voucher.

I hadn't realised that the aksiums are 20 spoke , I'm 100kg so can rule them out

I'd ask rose/merlin/bee cycles to build you a rear wheel with tiagra/105 hub with some touring rim with deep and thick sidewalls! Cheap and robust.

The other rose wheels are machine built and iffy enough. I've has at least two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

At 100kg you're better off using Xtreme Airline 4's. I was recommended here since that they've bombproof. I used to break the spokes on Giant factory rear wheel after 3k, around 10k on the current ones and never let me down.
    I promised myself, once I go leaner I treat myself to fancier wheels.
    Aroung 100kg for ages, I'm still rolling on Airline 4's with 105 hubs.(I really must make changes now, can't improve my best times on Strava due to excess weight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Noticed the bearings are beginning to go so in the look for new wheels for commuting.

Any thoughts ?

Why don't you Just replace the bearings in your existing wheels?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why don't you Just replace the bearings in your existing wheels?

I don't have the correct tools!!! and last time I suggested to a shop that they do it they gave me a price of about 70 euro!!!

I don't have the correct tools!!! and last time I suggested to a shop that they do it they gave me a price of about 70 euro!!!

What wheels do you have?

• Advertisement

Fulcrum 7s.

Fulcrum 7's..

p.s.if you do get new wheels, i'll take your old wheels off your hands. ;)

https://www.acatalepsia.org/98/fulcrum-racing-7-servicing-and-bearing-replacement/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Hope the OP doesn't mind me slightly derailing the thread here but I'm interested to hear people's opinions if the budget was more in the €500< range. I'd been considering the likes of mavic ksyrium etc. for racing but open to any suggestions. The wheels I've been racing on (aksiums) are starting to show signs of wear- getting harder to true and spoke nipples seizing but they'll do for training on. I've all winter to keep my eyes peeled for a bargain on a raceday wheelset anyway. I assume people are recommending Shimano hubs for cup and cone easy serviceability? 36 spokes are probably a bit much for racing? I'd heard about spokesman wheels in the UK too but from what I gather it's all carbon braking surface he offers so that'd mean swapping pads out on a regular basis.

Advertisement