Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding my Grandmas adopted daughter

Options
  • 14-09-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm trying to find a daughter my grandma had, likely born around 1961, my grandma was unwed and got sent to the dreaded unwed mothers home by her own mother and when she had the child a nun asked if she could hold it, when my grandma handed the child to the nun she swiftly took her away and her mother told her never to mention her again. The story she got told was she was going off to America, which after doing some research there were thousands of children born to unwed Irish mothers that got adopted by American families between the 1940s and 1970s.
    The story I last got told was that they had a lead to say she may be in County Louth, but when they got so far someone told them to stop and to never try and contact her, I've never known who exactly told them to stop, but I know they never got around to finding the daughter herself.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is this a complete lost cause..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

She was born in the 1960s, so there should be an adoption certificate.
    If you know where/when your grandmother gave birth, you could find her original birth cert. Then you can ask to search the adoption register in the GRO - which you have to ask for, it's behind the desk. You could also check the records of children in care (AIRR project held by the HSE), and get Tusla to do a search in case there are records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement