Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you dry your gear

Options
  • 14-09-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

After getting soaked coming home from work on Tuesday and needing the car yesterday, I suited up this morning to find a lot of my gear was still damp.
    Got me thinking how people dry their gear?

We've moved house this year and I now hang mine in an unheated garage. I'm considering getting a fan to ensure good airflow over wet gear to speed up the drying (the garage would be a bit draughty anyway). How would this compare to bringing the gear into the warmth of the house (which I don't really want to do)?

How do you dry yours? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheSprocketCo

Keep mine inside in a literal pile in the corner of a room. Gear is waterproof and house is warm and it's usually dry the next day. Don't really do anything special to dry them.

Gear is RST Tundra 2, and RST textile pants.

If the leathers get wet they're harder to dry, but I'd still bring them inside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have two sets of gear. :D

When wet, I hang them at home, in the spare room. In this weather it's dry the next morning, but in winter I would need to turn the heating on to dry it out. I couldn't store the gear with the bike, since that room wouldn't be warm/dry enough to dry out the gear overnight, so it all has to come in to the home with me to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I was the same, drenched on Tuesday, and still damp the next day - left hanging in a room @ 24C overnight. I think my mistake was leaving the jacket with the layers in, I think in future I'll pull the thermal and wet layers out, and let them dry seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

I understand that airflow is more important for drying than heat but maybe I'm wrong?

My gear is leathers, I didn't have the wet gear on over on Tuesday. Tends not to leak when I'm wearing it but then feels very damp if I'm wearing it the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Hahaha wet weather riding !! Are ya all mad !!

I'd invalidate my warranty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to hang mine over a radiator. Leaving it wet in a bundle leads to smelly gear. Gloves straight onto the radiator, facing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Stew just goes out and buys new gear each time.......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I put mine in the hot press usually does the trick. They are textiles. Also have an older second set just in case

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I put mine in the hot press usually does the trick. They are textiles. Also have an older second set just in case

Definitely worth having a second set of gloves. I used to bring a second set touring because in a b&b or hotel you can't dry them properly. Nothing worse than setting off for a day on the bike with wet gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Its worse getting to work soaked and no were to dry it out.
    Hated sticking the gear on wet from work,took ages to actually get the gear on!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive textiles, I throw them in a low heater dryer for about 40 mins,

Never had any trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It can be a pita.

That's why I bought this. It dries very fast.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/244260

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/244280

The only downside is that it can get a bit sweaty in the summer. Otherwise it's cheap and cheerfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MSVforever wrote: »
    It can be a pita.

The only downside is that it can get a bit sweaty in the summer. Otherwise it's cheap and cheerfull.

Dries? it should be waterproof no drying in it :)

It can be a pita.

You should be working on a fishing trawler, not riding a bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

It can be a pita.

Seems good for the price, how are the sizes since there's no information as to what size S, M L is and it goes up to 6XL!! Do you wear it over existing gear? The yellow is probably a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Newspaper in the boots and beside the radiator. Gloves left near radiator too.
    Dry over night.

listermint wrote: »
    Dries? it should be waterproof no drying in it :)

lol...waterproof but not very breathable

Cienciano wrote: »
    You should be working on a fishing trawler, not riding a bike :7:

Ahh come on they're not that bad... lol.... I prefer to stay on land.... Bikes are safer for me.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Seems good for the price, how are the sizes since there's no information as to what size S, M L is and it goes up to 6XL!! Do you wear it over existing gear? The yellow is probably a bit much!

The sizes are good. Usually I get b2xl but bought them in 3xl as you wear them over existing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Get a dehumidifier. Or get gear where the waterproof layer is bonded directly to the outer shell such as goretex. My gear is dry long before morning because it doesn’t absorb much water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

TBi wrote: »
    Get a dehumidifier. Or get gear where the waterproof layer is bonded directly to the outer shell such as goretex. My gear is dry long before morning because it doesn’t absorb much water.

..yeah, was thinking about that: actually, making up a small cabinet with one in it, with a rail and hooks to hang the gear on. Being small, it wouldn't take much juice to run it.

Got any recommendation on a small dehumidifier ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I have a meaco desiccant style one. Dessicant ones work better in colder temperatures like Ireland. Can’t remember the model number now.

DD8L model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Am sitting on the ferry with soaking gear, hoping it'll dry on me (there's a big damp patch underneath me)
    Anyway, what's the best way to clean textiles and soft luggage.

A bit wet this morning.
    Threw some old Dunnes waterproofs on over my gear, bought me a bit of time but generally useless. My Richa jacket (with rain liner) is pretty good, but the Richa Colorado trousers are letting me down, and I'm getting a damp arse by the time I get to work. I'll try some decent waterpoorfs over them and see what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have a Richa leather jacket which keeps me totally dry if I wear a good jumper or hoodie underneath it. Also got a pair of Richa Waterproof pants for about €90 a few months ago from JT's in Cork, so far they've kept me totally dry in the bad weather lately.

In terms of drying them, well leather dries itself out pretty easily and I just put the pants in the hot press overnight when I get home, they're usually perfectly dry by the morning.

I don't have proper bike boots yet, but the boots I do have appear to have a small hole or leak in them as my socks are always soaked when I get in, so I leave those in the hot press overnight and wear a different pair at work.

Popped the gear in tumble dryer last night on low heat for ~20mins, and was great, lovely and dry for me this morning.
    For the Gore-Tex gear with external water-proof - how do you guys hold up in this weather? Does it still need drying or how does it fair?

Proper goretex gear (where it’s fused to the outer shell) dries off pretty quickly. I rode in my gear through 6 hours of rain once, was dry beneath the gear and it was ready to go the next morning. Although I don’t have goretex :/

Advertisement