Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl vs Laminate over square stone kitchen tiles opinions and costs involved?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Need some advice from any builders/floor layers or people that have had floors put in. I have concrete square tiles in the kitchen and I want to to wooden effect floor I had picked a vinyl out but the guy who came round to measure same two things either 1. Leave stone tiles on but indentations from square tiled floor will show through over time or 2. You would have to lift square tiles and screed the floor to level it for vinyl. Other option is laminate where you can put the laminate right over tiles with no indentations trouble is then you need to lift the doors so two of the wooden doors would need to be cut I don't know how that would work ie take off doors and sand the ends of them or I would have to buy shorter doors. What I need to know is if anyone has had stone tiles in kitchen and replaced them did anyone lift them and screed the floor (how long does that take and how much) if not did anyone put vinyl over stone tile did you see indentations and if so after how long? and if you got laminate over tiles what did you do with your doors. I want to give this some thought so I just want to get other peoples opinions first on what they did

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the vinyl will show the grout line through. you might be able to fill them with some kind of levelling compound but I'm not sure

it is easy to cut the door. get the person fitting the floor to cut them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lift the tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vinyl will sound better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Sound advice :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

If putting vinyl then put leveling compound over the tiles. Make sure this is smooth or you will see lines / indents through the laminate. Cutting the doors for the laminate floor to work is easy if they are a solid door. If they are egg box type doors then the solid wood piece in the bottom section would need to be removed & then refitted when the door has been cut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

What are egg box type doors? Mine are just the regular pine doors I've decided to do the laminate option far easier than removing tiles doing the screeding and not having access to the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if you lay laminate over the tiles will that leave a trip hazard coming in the doors?

Advertisement