Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long for new server installation?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Probably a bit vague, but just wondering roughly how long a new server upgrade would take?
    Ive gotten a quote from a company and i think it totally takes the piss. I will of course shop around but just in general im wondering.
    I know office 365 is the way most people are going, and i have got a quote for this, but the yearly cost is much higher than we currently would have with a physical server.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

It would take me about half a day to unbox and install a new server to bare bones further installations and configurations will add to that time - roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

TBH this is like asking how long is a piece of string without more info.
    What is the server for? (Exchange, SQL, File share, IIS etc etc)
    What software has to be upgraded versus fresh install?
    What is old version of OS and software compared to new OS and software version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

heroics wrote: »
    TBH this is like asking how long is a piece of string without more info.
    What is the server for? (Exchange, SQL, File share, IIS etc etc)
    What software has to be upgraded versus fresh install?
    What is old version of OS and software compared to new OS and software version.

Thanks. Yes i know it was a bit general.
    Server is for exchange, sql and network file sharing/user storage, currently sbs2011. Was bought in 2011 also.

How often would you upgrade your server for a medium sized business?

As I said, i think the quote is taking the mick, theyve quoted 15 days work. Ive been here for server changeovers in the past (outsourced) but i just cant remember how long it takes. My guess was 2-3 days if i can remember, done over a weekend-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

15 days sounds like a lot unless there is significant work to be done. I would strongly suggest not putting exchange, sql and active directory on one server though. Hopefully the company has accounted for that by using Hyper-v/VMWare and split the roles onto separate servers. Let me know if you need a competitive quote, i work for a MSP in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mel123

mbroaders wrote: »
    15 days sounds like a lot unless there is significant work to be done. I would strongly suggest not putting exchange, sql and active directory on one server though. Hopefully the company has accounted for that by using Hyper-v/VMWare and split the roles onto separate servers. Let me know if you need a competitive quote, i work for a MSP in Dublin.

will do next week, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Hmm, gotta say, 15 working days is a lot - how many users / how much data do you have?

They will most likely be setting a new AD up from fresh as "upgrading" from sbs2011 ( whilst retaining current AD ) can be messy and not recommended.

Make sure to go the virtual route as mbroaders has mentioned - it will serve as a great function for disaster recovery along with being much easier to manage

Advertisement