Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Results?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone who is willing to say what they got in their exam and if you didn't get what you expected why and what you will try to do to improve it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Student24601

I got 10 As and a B. Now I am EXTREMELY happy with these results, I expected a majority of Bs with a couple of As and maybe a C so I was very shocked opening the report. However, the subject I got a B in was music. I had about 6 days in between my second last exam and music and I only studied for less than 2 days. I did this because I was upset with my other exams and had no motivation to keep studying when I thought I might already have a C on my report. If only I had known that I had ten As already in the bag, I would of studied my butt off to get the 11th A. But that being said, my results are better than I could have dreamed of and I burst into tears of happiness when I opened them. I guess the lesson I learned was to never give up, and to keep fighting until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hana_20

I got 10 As and a B. Now I am EXTREMELY happy with these results, I expected a majority of Bs with a couple of As and maybe a C so I was very shocked opening the report. However, the subject I got a B in was music. I had about 6 days in between my second last exam and music and I only studied for less than 2 days. I did this because I was upset with my other exams and had no motivation to keep studying when I thought I might already have a C on my report. If only I had known that I had ten As already in the bag, I would of studied my butt off to get the 11th A. But that being said, my results are better than I could have dreamed of and I burst into tears of happiness when I opened them. I guess the lesson I learned was to never give up, and to keep fighting until the end.
    omg!! how did u do so well?? I would love some advice as im doing the junior cert this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Student24601

Hana_20 wrote: »
    omg!! how did u do so well?? I would love some advice as im doing the junior cert this year :D

Haha well it's not as hard as you'd think it would be. If there's one thing I always tell people it's that it doesn't matter how long you study for, but it matters how well you study. For most of third year I did maybe only an hour of study a day(If even) but when I did study, I made the most of it. I cut off all distractions and really focused hard on what I was trying to learn. Don't burn yourself out too early. On the lead up to the mocks and then the lead up to the actual exams I studied longer hours but just as hard. Make sure that you know the layout of each paper that you are sitting and practise answering exam questions in the time limit you'll have in the exam. You can do a lot in a short amount of time, I went up one or two grades from the mocks for every subject. Im smart enough I guess but I'm definitely not super clever or anything so if you put in a bit of work you will surprise yourself with good results, just like I did. The fact that you even asked for advice shows that you want to do well, so I'm sure you will. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

Didn't study - 1A, 9 B's and a C :P (All HL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I took HL for all subjects, and I got 6 B's:
    -Irish
    -Maths
    -History (a pleasant surprise considering I got 48% in my mock)
    -Geography
    -Science
    -Business

Along with 3 C's (French, Art, CSPE), I failed English with a 'Partially Achieved' since I lack the sufficient critical thinking skills, which are key to performing well in the new English exam. I was absolutely ****** over my English result and I wouldn't stop complaining over it until the evening, which I took a trip to Eddie Rocket's for to celebrate my results.

Overall, my JC results were a big improvement over my mocks, which I mainly got C's and D's in.

• Advertisement

I'll compare my JC results to my mock results, which I also did HL for all subjects.

subject: mock / real JC [improvement or ]
    Irish: C (64%) / B [improvement]
    English: Achieved (46%) / Partially Achieved [regression]
    Maths: C (64%) / B [improvement]
    History: D (48%) / B [MASSIVE improvement]
    Geography: B (72%) / B [no change]
    French: D (46%) / C [improvement]
    Art: B (76%) / C [regression]
    Business: B (76%) / B [no change]
    Science: B (78%) / B [no change]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Study smart.

Exam papers are the best practice for getting used to the questions that come up and the time you have for each one.

The mocks are a good learning curve. No one does well in them, but don't expect excellent results if you don't put in some work.

I was quite academic. I got 5As and 6Bs. The biggest difference for me was going from a C to an A in History learning stuff off my heart.

I'm also quite academic, but my motivation kinda vanished coming up to the mocks. Small tests (including Christmas and summer tests) can rev me up for an A like they did in 1st and 2nd year. Hopefully, my motivation will be up to scratch with the LC, which I'm aiming for 600 points considering the amount of points TCD asks for human genetics. One thing that can draw me off from studying is locating my papers and worksheets. To ameliorate this issue, I hope to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet like a Surface Pro or even an iPad Pro for digital notetaking and general productivity (if I won't be allowed to bring such a device to school, I would still use it at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinabelcher99

Current LC here. I did mine in 2015. I didn't do as well as I had hoped & did everything at higher level . I got:
    As in Home Ec & Art
    Bs in French, History, CSPE, English, Science, Geography
    Cs in Maths & Irish

I made the mistake of not studying until about a week before. I just crammed. I got glandular fever about 3 days before they started so I wasn't in the best form for the exams. If I'd studied as opposed to crazy cramming & then didn't get sick, I would have done better. But not to worry, people honestly don't give a damn about the results a week after they come out. I suggest you do your best & start studying early on. It's useful practise for the Leaving Cert.

Best of luck to you!!

Current LC here. I did mine in 2015. I didn't do as well as I had hoped & did everything at higher level . I got:
    As in Home Ec & Art
    Bs in French, History, CSPE, English, Science, Geography
    Cs in Maths & Irish

I made the mistake of not studying until about a week before. I just crammed.

That is just damn impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I did mine in 2016 and got 5 As and 6 Bs all higher level.
    As in Maths, German, Home Ec, CSPE, Religion
    Bs in Geography, History, Irish, Business, Science, English

If I remember correctly in my mocks I got :
    English - B (Same in JC)
    Irish - D (Improved in JC)
    Maths - C (Improved in JC)
    German - A (Same in JC)
    Business - B (Same in JC)
    Geography - A (Worsened in JC)
    CSPE - B (Improved in JC)
    Religion - D (Improved in JC)
    Home Ec - B (Improved in JC)
    Science - B (Same in JC)
    English - B (Same in JC)

Third year was terrible for me as I had just lost all motivation and didn't care anymore. I was over the stress and anxiety that I was causing myself. I used to be really motivated in first and second year and it just went downhill from there.

Honestly, no one ever asks about your results, so if they're not what you wanted don't worry about it. If you did well congratulations, set it aside and look forward.

jeonahr wrote: »
    Third year was terrible for me as I had just lost all motivation and didn't care anymore. I was over the stress and anxiety that I was causing myself. I used to be really motivated in first and second year and it just went downhill from there.

3rd year was also my all-time low when it came to test and exam results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elsa714

Are the mocks harder than the junior cert or is it the other way around? and also can you get the previous year's mock exams online?

They come earlier, so your studies wouldn't have been done at that point. That's one thing that would make the mocks tougher than the JC.

Advertisement