Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Commuter

Options
  • 13-09-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭

New thriller starring Liam Neeson and Vera Farmiga. Looks like something pretty original. I don't think the trailer gives too much away (which is great and to be commended).

Hopefully trailer 2 in a few months keeps the same tack.

Out in January.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Liam Neeson seems quite... TAKEN.. with this type of role :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

Original? Looks like Non Stop on a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New International Trailer. Better pacing and more menacing than the first one I think (and a better trailer overall).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I love anything with big Liam, this looks good to me, love Vera Farmiga as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I was with it right until it devolved into a PlayStation game near the end, is there some mandate that all hollywood movies must include cgi fireballs and impossible feats of athleticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Looks like they took the ingredients Non Stop and Source Code and mixed them all together to make some sort of Taken infused concoction.

I'm sure this will turn out to be crazy nonsense, but hopefully it'll be crazily enjoyable nonsense.

Trailer 2. Gives a bit more of the story away, but not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The final trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Have to admit these Liam Neeson action films are a huge guilty pleasure of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I imagine if he drove in his car he would have less hassle than he seems to be having TAKENING the train lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I don't know about you but if two people are talking gibberish on my commute I can't help but tune in. If I hear one of them saying there's 75 grand in the jacks then I'm up there like a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Went to see it this afternoon an ok film ok story ok cast and with a lot of really really dodgy CGI and few really bad fight scenes and about 20 minutes too long.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Some contrivances that drive the plot along, but overlook those and you'll have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I mean it was pretty crap, but very enjoyable crap. I find it terribly quaint to see Neeson still doing these roles at his age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

1 hour 45 minutes of entertaining but complete nonsense. Won't be shocked to see Neeson still doing these action hero flicks in 10 years time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping thread, as I took at stab at this with few other options available, and having heard some decent reviews that had exceeded the expectations of the reviewers... and yeah, this was actually one of the better middle-tier, blockbuster releases of the year. Until it wasn't, and became one of the stupidest.

At first this was a surprisingly well crafted, character focused and tension-squeezing film, all in the mould of those sort of thrillers glibly described as "Hitchcockian". Then the 3rd act happened & the whole narrative unravelled; either the scriptwriters lost momentum and couldn't stick the landing, the studio got cold feet and demanded any Liam Neeson feature had to involve gunplay & explosions - or more likely it was a mix of both. The tonal change was so jarring & ludicrous, it nearly ruined the overall experience, but those first acts did enough heavy lifting to redeem the film, full of suspenseful little character vignettes within a genuinely intriguing premise.

Advertisement