Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 9 and 6 -- EOL for security patches with Factory images/OTA

Options
  • 13-09-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭

Nexus 9 and 6 -- EOL for security patches -- What custom rom will you switch to? or have you already?

There maybe one more patch, next month (not sure)!

When flashing September factory image(+supersu etc), I corrupted my Nexus 9 data partition.
    Device needed a factory reset anyway.

As I was wiping it, I decided to decrypt and flash Official LineageOS 14.1.

Have already customized it with Google Now Launcher, Gboard and Google Assistant.

Kernel ElementalX version 15 also been used which the developer has inferred that he will probably support once google stops supporting the device.

Also found the below to enable USB OTG storage on the device.

CM13/CM14 USB OTG mount problem fix

In a terminal: -
    su 
    sm set-force-adoptable true

Have been using the Nexus 9 for about five days on this setup, and impressed with the performance and battery life.

Anyone know of cool LOS Tips and Tricks for device (please share links).

So what rom are you switching to when official support ends?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm interested in this too.
    I have a Nexus 9 that I still use the whole time. I have stock ROM, rooted, with the ElementalX kernel.
    But it suffers a lot with slowdowns.

From reading XDA, I gather that:
    1. Encryption slows reading/writing down (although someone said it uses hardware encryption so that shouldn't be the case), and
    2. ElementalX speeds things up by holding onto a lot of stuff in RAM, which isn't great for a 1GB device, especially using Chrome.

So my next step will be to look at a custom ROM for the N9 with no encryption, and maybe another, less RAM-intensive, kernel.
    Lineage is pretty much the defacto standard ROM that most people go towards, but I prefer the slim ROMs with equally slimmed down Google Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

The_B_Man wrote: »

So my next step will be to look at a custom ROM for the N9 with no encryption, and maybe another, less RAM-intensive, kernel.
    Lineage is pretty much the defacto standard ROM that most people go towards, but I prefer the slim ROMs with equally slimmed down Google Apps.

Before choosing LOS 14.1, when searching i found favorable posts about SlimRoms. This is one example.

Further experimentation with my Nexus 9!

While we still wait for Rovo89 to release official and stable xposed for nougat.

I decided to try the unofficial/unstable port from PurifyOS: -

[XPOSED] [NOUGAT] [CAN UNSTABLE] Xposed SDK25/24 for all arch

It works and the following modules I have tested work: -

Youtube AdAway
    Youtube Background Playback
    MinMinGuard
    GravityBox [N]
    Awesome Pop-up Video + Youtube module

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I stuck on SlimRom7 on the Nexus 9 and it's going great. I haven't given it a proper run out, but played a few games, did a tiny bit of browsing. All good.
    The main problem i had was browsing with multiple tabs open. Will give it a go tonight and see if its any better.
    I do find the battery isnt' great, but then again i've been playing games on it mostly.

Advertisement