Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do professional contrarians make much money?

Options
  • 13-09-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭

There are a few in the Irish media one well known one was on news talk today.

Is it a good career move if you are a journalist? is it a persona they adopt to make themselves stand out in a crowded field and finely is it lucrative as a career move in media circles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This sounds like my dream job..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are a few in the Irish media one well known one was on news talk today.

Is it a good career move if you are a journalist? is it a persona they adopt to make themselves stand out in a crowded field and finely is it lucrative as a career move in media circles.

I professionally disagree with you on this....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

frag420 wrote: »
    I professionally disagree with you on this....

Well I can pick out two and if you google them its is interesting how many time they were sued or skirted close to the wind that is what lead me to think it must be a tacit to up their profile of course if the organisation they work for gets sued its not great career wise but sailing close to the wind is good for the publicity.

If they are the male of the species they never describe themselves as a man they are a bloke and the word bloke can be bracketed with ordinary depending on who the audience is and they are telling it like it is ( according to them anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If I got paid for been grumpy I would be rich.
    But my opinions are not newsworthy - so I dont.

• Advertisement

Winterlong wrote: »
    If I got paid for been grumpy I would be rich.
    But my opinions are not newsworthy - so I dont.

What make a columnist new worthy though? and your or anyone else opinion not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My opinions would not be controversial enough.

The only way I would be a shock jock is if someone put 220 volts down my trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The professional media equivalent of the big, thick-looking youngfella in the playground responding to every rational argument with "Yeah! Your sister!!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Well I can pick out two and if you google them its is interesting how many time they were sued or skirted close to the wind that is what lead me to think it must be a tacit to up their profile of course if the organisation they work for gets sued its not great career wise but sailing close to the wind is good for the publicity.

If they are the male of the species they never describe themselves as a man they are a bloke and the word bloke can be bracketed with ordinary depending on who the audience is and they are telling it like it is ( according to them anyway).

No need, I was being contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a handy gig for the well-connected old curmudgeon / "bright" young thing who wasted their education doing a gender studies and journalism degree.

The main qualification for the job would seem to be having played Leinster Schools Cup Rugby with the right people (or having a Daddy who did) or having a parent who worked for RTE.

The rest of us have Boards.ie / the comments section of The Journal / youtube etc.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's a handy gig for the well-connected old curmudgeon / "bright" young thing who wasted their education doing a gender studies and journalism degree.

The main qualification for the job would seem to be having played Leinster Schools Cup Rugby with the right people (or having a Daddy who did) or having a parent who worked for RTE.

The rest of us have Boards.ie / the comments section of The Journal / youtube etc.

I don't read the Sunday independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Like anything else, it depends if your contrarian opinion is fashionable at the time. Who does it benefit and are they willing to pay well for "professional voices" to be regurgitating helpful lines?

Go back forty years and you'd probably get a couple of well-paid jobs shilling for the tobacco industry, for instance, especially if you have a PhD behind your name.

With journalists, I don't know. Maybe? Ask Gene Kerrigan, he seems to be fairly permanently grumpy at the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think it's pronounced:
    Professional cunt-trary-ians

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

frag420 wrote: »
    No need, I was being contrary

No you weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't read the Sunday independent.
    I wouldn't use it to line a litter tray...

Advertisement