Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I been scammed? S8+

Options
  • 13-09-2017 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a Samsung S8+ as a present recently which was bought on DoneDeal from a guy who said it was unlocked. I put in my SIM and it worked on Three. It worked for at least 12 hours, but I can't be sure.

Now, it doesn't work with my SIM, but it still works on my iPhone. I even sent it back to Samsung, who returned it saying that they were able to make a live call - they don't particularly detailed reports.

I've tried to get some help from Three, but they have no record of the IMEI at all.

I tried a Lycamobile sim but could not connect to that either. Therefore it's probably not unlocked.

Am I the victim of a scam? Has the seller, or some previous owner, claimed an upgrade, reported it stolen, then sold it on to me, so that I get 12 hours network coverage before the network shut it down?

I feel very foolish if this is the case. If it is the case, is there anything that I can do?

Is it possible to check whether the IMEI has been blacklisted?

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

cojobt wrote: »
    Hi,

I received a Samsung S8+ as a present recently which was bought on DoneDeal from a guy who said it was unlocked. I put in my SIM and it worked on Three. It worked for at least 12 hours, but I can't be sure.

Now, it doesn't work with my SIM, but it still works on my iPhone. I even sent it back to Samsung, who returned it saying that they were able to make a live call - they don't particularly detailed reports.

I've tried to get some help from Three, but they have no record of the IMEI at all.

I tried a Lycamobile sim but could not connect to that either. Therefore it's probably not unlocked.

Am I the victim of a scam? Has the seller, or some previous owner, claimed an upgrade, reported it stolen, then sold it on to me, so that I get 12 hours network coverage before the network shut it down?

I feel very foolish if this is the case. If it is the case, is there anything that I can do?

Regards,

IMEI has been blocked maybe, seller may have made an insurance claim saying it was stolen and phones IMEI has been blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Check your IMEI here : http://www.imeipro.info/

Dial this to get the IMEI: *#06#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭techdiver

Sounds like device was either lost or stolen.

Also, some people purchase a new phone on an expensive contract to get the handset for free and then stop paying the bill. They then sell the handset on and the original network blocks the IMEI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah its a blacked device.

If samsung sent it to a UK service centre it'd work for them, but it wont work in the republic ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

cojobt wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards,

Why would you feel foolish if someone bought it for you as a gift?

Did they/you contact the seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds like it's been blacklisted alright.. You could try selling it via eBay UK etc but that's not easy either as you'll have to explain the situation and convince a buyer that it wasn't you who robbed it or whatever.

Advertisement