Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heifer carrying a mummy calf

Options
  • 13-09-2017 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

As title says I have a heifer carrying a mummy calf, now she is gone past her due date and still holds onto the calf, she was originally Ai'd in Late August and due to calf in early June but obviously no sign of a calf so I presumed she didn't hold onto calf and then went in calf to stock bull later on so who knows when she would calf, Anyway vet was out testing and asked him to handle cow to see what’s going on, so he told me she’s carry a mummy and suggested I get rid of her, So there’s two questions I have, firstly could he not take out calf and flush her out with antibiotics and make sure she ok and then either sell her or keep her or would I just sell her in mart as a factory heifer not suitable for breeding, Would that be ok since she is carry mummy, The last time I had a mummy calf the cow just calved on her due date. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did the Vet not advise you on your options.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Ya he did, he suggested I out her as a factory heifer, that it wouldn't be worth the hassle of trying to remove calf, but he is a fairly young inexperienced vet. At one stage when he was handling the heifer he told me she's in calf and everything okay the he just checked her again and said no she's carrying a mummy. I suppose I need to have a chat with the head Vet in the practice and see what his take is on it, What I'm really asking is it ok to sell her in the mart as a factory heifer and announce that she is not suitable for breeding what I don't want is someone coming back after me saying she was knocked in factory or didn't thrive due to the dead calf inside her. Even If I could get her ok and ready to go back in calf she's too late for me now and two years wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

I don't know if it's allowed but in my eyes it would be the wrong thing to do. Get the vet out and get him to take the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

get that senior vet out to her! don't be selling her in the mart anyway.. just passing the problem to another
    re factory-unsure if they penalize you for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had a mummy calf, stuck in falopian tubes about the size of a rat- vet said sell her at mart for factory. Declared her not suitable for breeding. Sold. Nobody came back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Irish Beef wrote: »
    As title says I have a heifer carrying a mummy calf, now she is gone past her due date and still holds onto the calf, she was originally Ai'd in Late August and due to calf in early June but obviously no sign of a calf so I presumed she didn't hold onto calf and then went in calf to stock bull later on so who knows when she would calf, Anyway vet was out testing and asked him to handle cow to see what’s going on, so he told me she’s carry a mummy and suggested I get rid of her, So there’s two questions I have, firstly could he not take out calf and flush her out with antibiotics and make sure she ok and then either sell her or keep her or would I just sell her in mart as a factory heifer not suitable for breeding, Would that be ok since she is carry mummy, The last time I had a mummy calf the cow just calved on her due date. What do people think?
    Had this sadly, no sign of cow to spring down, vet handled and said incalf, started thinking did a weanling get her, a month after due date she 'calved', wouldn't of copped only she was acting very maternal.
    Got foetus checked & cow blooded with no issues.
    All I could think of neighbours bull broke in 3 weeks after being scanned incalf & maybe he gave her a dunt.
    Cow is now burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Where do you stand here if you sell a female with a mummified calf in her at mart or factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

I'd imagine no odds at the factory, you are paid by kill out weight

As soon as you announce that at mart you'll get docked

I'd factory her & be done with the hassle & future uncertainty if you remove calf, flush her out & try getting her incalf again

Would there be an issue if she sold as a cull, like could the factory come back to you about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

There In calf cows being slaughtered at the factory wholesale

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I sold a heifer incalf two months ago (I got her scanned during summer and all was ok) and it turns out the calf is mummified in her on scanning this week as she was due a month ago. What should I do take her back and mart or factory her?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We sold one similar years ago we took her back and swapped her for one with a calf at foot. We factoried her

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Had one couple of years and decided to factory her. booked her in but the morning she was going she was definitely in trouble and I was lucky to get her in. I would get her in as fast as I could as if she gets sick she ll drop very fast as that cow was 100 % the night before.

Factory preference over mart?

Advertisement