Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads Up

Options
  • 12-09-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭

We went out for a pint after work and I went to head home after two hours.

Realized lanyard (with fob attached) wasn't hanging round my neck as expected (under jacket obv). Get very stressed and I'm chairing a meeting first thing tomorrow.

Spend 3 hours retracing steps between pubs. Am searching the second pub with the very kind assistance of a hipster barman when I realize it is actually still hanging round my neck albeit down my back.

Just putting this out there as a yardstick for anybody that has ever felt like an utter moron.

Night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Always amazes me how them fobs work, that a server somewhere is syncronised with that exact code at that exact moment in time but yet all users have different codes at any one time.

Algorithms amazing creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If you'd have put your head down it would have fallen off and you'd have found it faster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Don't worry OP, it happens to the best of us now for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Few weeks back left Vue cinema (alone, that's how I roll) and when I got to my car I realized I'd lost my car keys. Panic set in as I don't have a spare (was quoted €140 for one, fcuk that) and so went back inside and some sound members of staff let me go back into the screen but they weren't there. I know I had them during the film though. Searched all my pockets a thousand times! Under the seat, side of the seat, the aisle, my pockets again. Nothing. Security all start CBing one another and nobody found them either. All I can think of is how much a lock smith will cost and how I might need a new ignition and what I'll do until 9am when my landlord will help me get back into my house.... when, as I step off the curb outside Liffey Valley I hear a faint chinking behind me, on me, what, could it be my keys?? So I whipped of me Superdry Puffa (shameless product placement) and where were they fcukers only in my damn hood! I almost ran through the car park like James Stewart at the end of It's A Wonderful Life! Almost.

Actually, a similar thing happened me twice before but I've embarrassed meself enough for one morning and so I'll say no more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I was leaving a meeting with a colleague that had been held in the lounge of a hotel, as I left a bit pre-occupied with what I was going to do next I walked towards the exit doors, the ones that slide open, with a sensor to open them, head down I walked face first into a wall of glass in front of the doors and in front of all the receptionists at the desk. Morto

• Advertisement

A guy I worked with was staying the weekend in a caravan, and the site was about five miles outside the next village. He goes in to town for a few drinks, and leaves at closing time (country closing time that is, about 3AM) absolutely pickled. Up to his eyeballs in pints, he realises his chances of a cab are slim to none.

So, he tells himself a five mile walk in the country air is exactly what he needs anyway, so without much choice in the matter sets off about his way. He gets three miles out the road and stops to light a fag. The wind is really strong and blowing into his face, so he turns his back to shield his lighter and sparks up the fag. Takes a good long draw, and continues on walking.

Except he's so totally jarred he forgets he turned his back on the wind, and is now walking back in the direction he came from. He doesn't realise this until he ends up back in the same village again. So he's now walked six miles, ended up in the same spot he started from, and still has a five mile walk to go where he was going in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

OP, too bad that the buzz from the few pints would have worn off in the 3 hours you spend looking for that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Whenever I lose something my first instinct is always to Google where it might be. I obviously cop on instantly that this won't work but I feel like a fool for even thinking it no matter how briefly

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I'm a bit suspicious of people wearing their work badges in the pub. Not sure why, just annoys me.

Glad you found it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Blatant 'I'm chairing a meeting' thread.

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    Whenever I lose something my first instinct is always to Google where it might be. I obviously cop on instantly that this won't work but I feel like a fool for even thinking it no matter how briefly

I had to google "what is a lanyard" so don't be to hard on yourself.

OP, what flag have ya?

lanyard
    ˈlanjəd/Submit
    noun
    a rope used to secure or raise and lower something such as the shrouds and sails of a sailing ship or a flag on a flagpole.
    a cord passed round the neck, shoulder, or wrist for holding a knife, whistle, or similar object.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I just leave my in my handbag and take it out if needs be because I know I would lose it otherwise. First one is free then you have to pay is a good incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I'm a bit suspicious of people wearing their work badges in the pub. Not sure why, just annoys me.

Glad you found it though.

Just had it on under my jacket as I was on the way home until pub diversion.

Stay your hand, oh impetuous lanyard staple of hackneyed stand up comedy routines. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Few weeks back left Vue cinema (alone, that's how I roll) and when I got to my car I realized I'd lost my car keys. Panic set in as I don't have a spare (was quoted €140 for one, fcuk that) and so went back inside and some sound members of staff let me go back into the screen but they weren't there. I know I had them during the film though. Searched all my pockets a thousand times! Under the seat, side of the seat, the aisle, my pockets again. Nothing. Security all start CBing one another and nobody found them either. All I can think of is how much a lock smith will cost and how I might need a new ignition and what I'll do until 9am when my landlord will help me get back into my house.... when, as I step off the curb outside Liffey Valley I hear a faint chinking behind me, on me, what, could it be my keys?? So I whipped of me Superdry Puffa (shameless product placement) and where were they fcukers only in my damn hood! I almost ran through the car park like James Stewart at the end of It's A Wonderful Life! Almost.

Actually, a similar thing happened me twice before but I've embarrassed meself enough for one morning and so I'll say no more :p

Shameful more like

Advertisement