Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

launchers all crashing

Options
  • 12-09-2017 10:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nova launcher updated earlier and immediately started crashing non stop. I tried two other launchers, apex and launcher 3 but they behave exactly the same way. Reboot, clear cache and dalvik, nothing works. Android system also keeps crashing.

Would there be some way of uninstalling the update remotely? I can't think of any other way around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Try this: Find out how to boot your particular phone into 'safe mode'. It would entail something like powering on your phone whilst holding down some other button simultaneously like the volume down for example. Safe Mode stops all your apps from auto-starting except for essential ones. Your phone should ( I think ) start with the default launcher where then you could then delete Nova or any other apps that may be causing the problem. Clear cache again after this procedure. If your still have problems after than then it will require further investigation or a reset.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AllForIt wrote: »
    Try this: Find out how to boot your particular phone into 'safe mode'. It would entail something like powering on your phone whilst holding down some other button simultaneously like the volume down for example. Safe Mode stops all your apps from auto-starting except for essential ones. Your phone should ( I think ) start with the default launcher where then you could then delete Nova or any other apps that may be causing the problem. Clear cache again after this procedure. If your still have problems after than then it will require further investigation or a reset.

I got into safe mode and have an error message 'unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped' permanently displaying, i.e. I press OK and it immediately comes back, so I can't do anything.

Wiped cache again, same problem.

I got into safe mode and have an error message 'unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped' permanently displaying, i.e. I press OK and it immediately comes back, so I can't do anything.

Wiped cache again, same problem.

Try getting a logcat of the crash, and upload the output to here.

What device do you have?

• Advertisement

Reformatted three times, no improvement. Keep getting themes provider has crashed, then the launcher, play store, android process all just crash in an endless loop.

Acer A510. How do I get a logcat and how to post it? The device is unusable.

Reformatted three times, no improvement. Keep getting themes provider has crashed, then the launcher, play store, android process all just crash in an endless loop.

Acer A510. How do I get a logcat and how to post it? The device is unusable.

Logcat would be done with an adb connection to your pc. You'd need to have adb on your pc, then type "adb logcat > location_you_want_the_output.txt". After you catch the crash, CTRL+C to stop the log. If you haven't done that sort of thing before, it might be a pain to set up.

What do you mean you say you've reformatted? You've done a factory reset on the device and the issue still remains? Are you running a stock device, or custom ROM?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Logcat would be done with an adb connection to your pc. You'd need to have adb on your pc, then type "adb logcat > location_you_want_the_output.txt". After you catch the crash, CTRL+C to stop the log. If you haven't done that sort of thing before, it might be a pain to set up.

What do you mean you say you've reformatted? You've done a factory reset on the device and the issue still remains? Are you running a stock device, or custom ROM?

Custom ROM. Been using it for 4 months with no issues. Factory reset with cache/dalvik clear.

Custom ROM. Been using it for 4 months with no issues. Factory reset with cache/dalvik clear.

So after your wipe you had to set up as a new device again, and it was still crashing? If you Google how to do a logcat, it will point to the culprit. Completely wiping your device should solve any issues, though. You could even try a different custom ROM.

Basil3 wrote: »
    So after your wipe you had to set up as a new device again, and it was still crashing? If you Google how to do a logcat, it will point to the culprit. Completely wiping your device should solve any issues, though. You could even try a different custom ROM.

I'll try a logcat this evening then.

• Advertisement

You could try one of two things.

Dirty flash of the ROM (don't wipe data etc only cache).

Factory reset.

I managed to do the following:
    Logged into play store from the PC
    Deleted Nova from list of My Apps
    Reflashed.
    Launcher3 crashed three times on startup but then became reasonably stable (it did the same thing on the next reboot)

Having trouble with a good few things still - settings app crashes every time I click on Apps and also if I drag settings to the Info icon.
    Parse errors installing APK files such as Netflix (Netflix is not in my play store for some reason)
    General feeling of instability.

It sounds like something in the system files has become corrupt.

I recommend a dirty reflash of the ROM.
    This shouldn't lose any user data etc (so long as you don't wipe anything other than cache).
    It will however reinstall the system.

biebiebie wrote: »
    It sounds like something in the system files has become corrupt.

I recommend a dirty reflash of the ROM.
    This shouldn't lose any user data etc (so long as you don't wipe anything other than cache).
    It will however reinstall the system.

Been through four reflashes at this stage.

Have you been wiping data, or no? I'd say it would definitely be fixed if you wipe data. Is your custom ROM a CM/Lineage ROM? Have you installed some kind of theme? If so, then i'd try to uninstall the theme.

You could also try going to settings > apps. See if there's an app called themes provider there. Try disabling and reboot.

Wiping data each time. Pretty sure it is theme related but I have no theme manager app that I can see and the only on listed in settings is Holo (default). There may be a hidden theme manager but as the settings crashes when I click on Apps I have no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Dirty or clean?

T-Bird wrote: »
    Dirty or clean?

Clean. Might as well try a filthy one

Clean. Might as well try a filthy one

Your wiping everything apart from storage then flashing the original Rom you used and gapps?

T-Bird wrote: »
    Your wiping everything apart from storage then flashing the original Rom you used and gapps?

Yes. All but the SD card basically.
    I've gone a couple of hours without crashing using launcher3 now. There seems to be some common component to nova and apex which causes the neverending crash. Probably one uses a copy of the others settings so if I install neither I might be ok. The was an update to nova yesterday and I see at least one other person is experiencing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,990 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is there a Google Pixel edition ROM for your device? I've been running it on my S7 for a few months and it extremely fast (about 30% faster than stock) and totally stable. Very happy with it. I too have Nova as my launcher.

Do you have any apps moved to the SD card?
    That might be the issue.
    Does Nova work if you remove the SD?

unkel wrote: »
    Is there a Google Pixel edition ROM for your device? I've been running it on my S7 for a few months and it extremely fast (about 30% faster than stock) and totally stable. Very happy with it. I too have Nova as my launcher.

I very much doubt it. It's a 5 year old tablet.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Do you have any apps moved to the SD card?
    That might be the issue.
    Does Nova work if you remove the SD?

No, all on internal memory. Not going to install nova again for now I think.

Back to square one. After rebooting Launcher3 is permanently crashing.

Back to square one. After rebooting Launcher3 is permanently crashing.

Logcat :)

I doubt it is the Launchers crashing. Its probably some other update for "Oreo" compatability causing the crash.
    Maybe dont flash Gaaps and try to work around it. Aptoide or Amazon underground might have alternative applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It might be storing some data on the SD card. You should back it up and wipe it.
    There's no other way that a problem can persist between clean flashes, unless your device is on the way out.

Advertisement