Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series set after next generation

Options
  • 12-09-2017 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

Why are they avoiding making a series set after the next generation . All this prequel stuff limits how creative the writers can be and is frankly boring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

They're not Bold enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As long as they're not concentrating on Captain Kirk and the USS Enterprise, I'm of the opinion that the "TNG era" offers potentially much less creative freedom than the "Kirk era" (give or take 10 years).

We had 3 years on a single ship and a handful of films set in the 23rd century. And most of those were stand-alone adventures, not the kind of political word building which came later. Since TNG season one we've had 21 full seasons and 4 movies worth of stuff that needs to be checked and rechecked, before anyone puts pen to paper, to maintain consistency with intergalactic politics, different races, and so on.

Star Trek: Enterprise made the big mistake of setting itself onboard the new, somehow never-before-heard-of, 'first' starship Enterprise, and around the time of the founding of the Federation. It never really made sense that these events hadn't been mentioned in series which were set later.

And I would like to see some post-TNG stuff, but equally I don't buy into the idea that a TOS-era show is necessarily limiting. We just don't know too much about that era, and it seems like there's plenty of room for adventure when you don't already have post-Voyager style technology and headache inducing political situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Goodshape wrote: »
    As long as they're not concentrating on Captain Kirk and the USS Enterprise, I'm of the opinion that the "TNG era" offers potentially much less creative freedom than the "Kirk era" (give or take 10 years).

We had 3 years on a single ship and a handful of films set in the 23rd century. And most of those were stand-alone adventures, not the kind of political word building which came later. Since TNG season one we've had 21 full seasons and 4 movies worth of stuff that needs to be checked and rechecked, before anyone puts pen to paper, to maintain consistency with intergalactic politics, different races, and so on.

Star Trek: Enterprise made the big mistake of setting itself onboard the new, somehow never-before-heard-of, 'first' starship Enterprise, and around the time of the founding of the Federation. It never really made sense that these events hadn't been mentioned in series which were set later.

And I would like to see some post-TNG stuff, but equally I don't buy into the idea that a TOS-era show is necessarily limiting. We just don't know too much about that era, and it seems like there's plenty of room for adventure when you don't already have post-Voyager style technology and headache inducing political situations.

I think setting it so far into the future where travelling outside the galaxy would be cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I want an andromeda style fall of the federation and its rebuilding

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

well DS9 and Voyager were set after TNG ;)

You've also got Star Trek Online to contend with if you go to that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Doesn't the same limitation apply to any TOS era events? Any big incident should have been mentioned in TNG or beyond.

I think a Temporal Agents series would be the best post Nemesis idea or a where are they now anthology mini series of TNG, DS9, and Voyager characters. There are some lingering questions left over from that era like is Harry Kim still outranked by the waiter that served him drinks as he set off on his first assignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'll never understand the whole "the future boxes us in too much, so lets write it in the past" mentality. If there's anything, anything at all, that boxes a writer in, it's a prequel setting. 100 years post Voyager gives writers a brand new slate, they could do anything at all they wanted with Star Trek in that time frame....a fragmented federation, trans-warp/intergalactic exploration, temporal exploration, new baddies, new goodies, changed faces, it's all there for the taking. Yet they continually, and persistently, hearken back to an era where we know how everything turns out in the end.

Personally, I think there's so much fear in the pen pushing departments these days, that creativity and vision are facets of writing that are shunned. "We want money god dammit, set it in Captain Kirk's time!" Now, I will grant that Star Trek as a franchise is in a perilous position, and an element of safety is a wise decision, much like JJ took with Star Wars VII....you need to give something that's been off screen for so long, breathing room to grow, and to give fans some familiarity about it to bring them back in. The thing with Trek though, is it's been tried (albeit badly), with Enterprise. We love prequel shows!, said very few Star Trek fans ever.

Star Trek is about going forward, exploring new frontiers, not rehashing old ones. I fully believe this iteration of Trek will do pretty well all things considered, and I've come round to the JJ Trek films over time (not a big fan of the first one though)...so I don't think this will be even in the same league as Enterprise. I would love to see them move forward though eventually, forget about the 23rd & 24th centuries, show us what Federation life is like in the 25th century and beyond, don't be afraid to write it, just do it....it's the only way that Trek can truly shine again, and free itself of this seeming unbreakable link with Captain Kirk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You've also got Star Trek Online to contend with if you go to that point

So I've seen Online mentioned a few times, not just here but elsewhere, and I'm too lazy to Google: what's the bullet point summary of the setting here - and is it considered 'canon'?

To play devil's advocate, I wonder if perhaps the reluctance to set things after the era of Voyager is that without trashing the galaxy, there's not much else to explore of this utopia, and you're potentially veering too far into 'science as magic' territory, or a world that loses some of its tangible humanity. That it's easier to set things before the heyday of the Federation to get closer parallels with our modern times (which of course a lot of SciFi often does).

I've read a few of Iain M Banks' 'Culture' series of novels, and the Culture always feels like a far, far-future version of the Federation; one where humanity as we know it pretty unrecognisable and a little alien in of itself - and one that's arguably un-filmable (for a variety of reasons)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Star Trek Online isn't Canon, and i don't care if anyone says it is. The story is bonkers for the most part. It's as bad as some of the books, and the stories in the books are awful (from the synopsis i've read).

Incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Incorrect
    DS9 was partly contemporary but they were. They were not set after the TNG crew movies but they didn't have TNG as part of their titles if you want to get really pedantic about it.

Evade wrote: »
    DS9 was partly contemporary but they were. They were not set after the TNG crew movies but they didn't have TNG as part of their titles if you want to get really pedantic about it.

Well everyone knows what I meant so he's the one being pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well everyone knows what I meant so he's the one being pedantic

Incorrect

Incorrect

I meant anyone that isn't slow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I meant anyone that isn't slow

Ooooohhhh he smart, we want him.

samaritan_snare_hd_071.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I said it on other threads: I always thought DS9 should have ended on a downer: The Dominion pour through the wormhole and pretty much take the Alpha Quadrant. they should have signed a peace treaty with The Federation but that's it.

The next series could have started 100 years later: The Federation isn't what it once was: It's down to a handful of races: Human, Vulcan, couple of the other original species. The Klingons would have joined after their alliance during the war and the Romulans would be working closer but still not part of the federation (Still element of distrust).

The Dominion would now just be the biggest thing in the alpha Quadrant. Not in open war with the federation. Not an invasion fleet bent on conquer but still pretty all encompassing and oppressive.

The Federation would be very much the underdogs: Less ships, less powerful ships. Surrounded by species, while not hostile, not very friendly towards them. The series would be part of them trying to rebuild and trying to find a place to expand into. It could have been like a pioneering show again but without going back to previous timelines.

If any series had the balls to do it, it would have been DS9. They may have done it now if it was on TV but at that time they wouldn't have been allowed. For many people, DS9 was just too dark (Not me, it's my favourite :) )

Advertisement