Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running campagnolo cassett with shimano set up.

Options
  • 12-09-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Right ,my winter bike has Ultegra set up from about 10 years ago, I have a set of planet x wheels in great condition sitting in my shed for 2 years with a Campagnolo cassette on it.I want to put these wheels on my winter bike as they are being wasted in the shed.
    Is it possible to run a campagnolo cassette with
    a Shimano groupset?, I'm not overly bothered about silky smooth shifting as this is my winter bike.
    A planet x Shimano freehub body is €60 delivered and a cheap Shimano cassette is €40/50,it's Another €100 I could do without spending.
    Have any of you mixed cassette and groups before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Actually have any of you used a cassette conversion?, is it possible to buy a cassette that will run with Shimano set up but will fit a Campagnolo Free hub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you tune it perfectly in middle of range it should almost work; spacing is about .17mm different I think over about a 4mm movement.

So it'll be pretty rough at extremes but ok in middle. I'd give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is it 10 speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I ran an 11 speed campag cassette with my 11 speed ultegra groupset quite happily for a while, little bit of weird cross over at times but nothing a click up or down wouldn't silence... i don't think the 10 speeds are compatible though

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you tune it perfectly in middle of range it should almost work; spacing is about .17mm different I think over about a 4mm movement.

So it'll be pretty rough at extremes but ok in middle. I'd give it a go

My mechanic is giving it a service this week,when I get it back i will try it,like I said its just for winter use,so I'm not overly bothered if it's not smooth,I'll give it a go and see.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

Actually I totally neglected to mention that it's an 11 speed cassette and the Group set is 10 speed.
    Will it make much of a difference?,I'm not overly bothered about using the full range of gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ah I assumed it was all 10 speed(which should work kinda but be rough).

Couldn't see it working if you have 11 and 10!!

chain will likely be too wide for the cog teeth and it'll slip a lot, you'll ruin both the chain and cassette, and yourself if you like riding out of the saddle

What about if I put on a campag chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

pkvader wrote: »

won't work..both need to be the same speed.

example, I have campag 11speed (chorus) Groupset on one bike, which has a Shimano 11speed chain
    and i have another bike with Shimano Ultegra 11speed groupset with a campag chorus 11speed cassette. they both work perfectly.

• Advertisement

pkvader wrote: »

A 10 speed chain is wider than an 11 speed, the 10 speed chain will be moving quite a lot, laterally, on your 11 speed cogs and will likely rub of both your derailleurs too

Cheers for your help lads,might as well bite the bullet and buy a Free hub body and cassette.

Advertisement